By Ref Reviewer 04
This is part of a series of articles covering the refereeing of matches in the EPL. We cover all Arsenal games, and some of the games of other leading teams.
For the game between Manchester City and Everton it was Howard Webb in charge.
|5||OTHER||Richards||C||handball. It was from close range but he stuck out his arm in a not natural position and in an attempt to block the cross||1||1|
|6||OTHER||Richards||Baines||NC||Baines tries a shot and Richards slides in and catches him late. Nothing given||0||0|
|8||OTHER||Hibbert||Nasri||NC||A push when teh ball is gone. Not given||0||0|
|9||OTHER||Cahill||Barry||NC||It was Barry who blocked the run of Cahill and used his arm||0||0|
|9||OTHER||Rodwell||Silva||C||A bit late this time given||1||1|
|16||OTHER||Fellaini||Clichy||NC||I can’t see anything wrong and the assistant who was standing 10 m away makes no signal||0||0|
|20||OTHER||Rodwell||Silva||C||Tackle both ball and the ankle||1||1|
|21||YELLOW||Rodwell||C||A bit from behind and possible dangerous||1||2|
|24||OTHER||Lescott||Cahill||NC||A ball over the defender and Lescott uses his arm to stop Cahill going on goal||0||0|
|24||YELLOW||Lescott||NC||Should have been a yellow card at least as this was a promising attack. Ref gives nothing||0||0|
|24||OTHER||Neville||Silva||C||Neville touches Silva on the ankle as he tries to turn away from him||1||1|
|24||YELLOW||Neville||C||Neville claimed his innocence but I think the assistance called the foul||1||2|
|28||OTHER||Silva||Jagielka||NC||Didn’t touch the defender who tumbled because of his clearance||0||0|
|29||OTHER||Osman||Richards||C||Push maybe shoulder against shoulder||1||1|
|29||YELLOW||Osman||NC||For what was hardly a foul this is harsh. Or was he booked for pointing at his shoulder?||0||0|
|31||OTHER||Yaya T.||Coleman||C||Late tackle||1||1|
|31||YELLOW||Yaya T.||C||Late tackle on the defender||1||2|
|38||OTHER||Baines||Aguero||C||Block him with the arm||1||1|
|44||OFFSIDE||City||C||Not given as the keeper was first on the ball||1||1|
|56||OTHER||Jagielka||Hart||NC||Attacks the goalkeeper in the area and came in late. Always stamp this out. He signalled advantage. No advantage to be seen||0||0|
|62||OTHER||Cahill||Kompany||C||Came sliding in||1||1|
|62||YELLOW||Cahill||C||Dangerous tackle. Correct card||1||2|
|68||GOAL||Man City||C||Correct goal||1||3|
|75||OTHER||Kompany||Saha||NC||Kompany clearly blocks he run of Saha just outside the penalty area. Nothing given||0||0|
|80||OTHER||Balotelli||Distin||C||Indicacte by the assistant||1||1|
|80||YELLOW||Balotelli||NC||Balotelli shows his anger towards the assistant. Should not be tolerated and should receive a booking for this||0||0|
|82||OTHER||Clichy||Drenthe||NC||Clips his foot. Nothing given||0||0|
|85||OTHER||Savic||Saha||C||Pus in the back||1||1|
|86||GOAL||City disallowed||C||Silva was offside. Correct from the assistant to rule it out||1||3|
|87||OTHER||Jagielka||Balotelli||C||Tackle from behind||1||1|
|87||YELLOW||Jagielka||C||Dangerous tackle. Correct card||1||2|
|89||GOAL||Man City||C||Correct goal||1||3|
|92||OTHER||Kompany||Baines||NC||For the third time this game the ref refuses to give a foul just outside the City penalty area||0||0|
|2nd half score|
|Correct calls||For city||19||63,33%|
|Total correct calls||30|
|Wrong calls||Against City||3||23,08%|
This was a classic example of what I would call a home ref. The majority of the good calls for the home team and the majority of the wrong calls also going to the home team.
Backing out of some decisions to go against the home team. A typical Webb weakness in my opinion. And a yellow card for ….well nothing in fact against the visiting team. I think he booked the whole visiting midfield in a the first half hour.
The most strange thing was the way that he just refused to give any free kick close to the City penalty area. On 3 occasions he just did nothing when he Everton player was clearly fouled. Was it the presence of Baines who can score from those angles that stopped him?
The final score was just acceptable at the end of the day after a really poor first half.
- REF REVIEW: Man City 2 Everton 0
- INJURIES: A quick look at the injurnationals
- NEWS: Arsenal Ladies win treble, and now go for the Champions League; reserves making good progress
- PLAYERS: Who will be back at the back
- REFEREES: The Untold Ref Review: Tottenham v Arsenal
- ECONOMICS: Could it be that Swiss Ramble has made a mistake?
- TACTICS: The Times They Are A Changing
- HISTORY: Arsenal FC take note of what we say, and that feels good.
- FANS: Why it is dumb to moan too much
- INJURIES: Gameweek 7 and Tottenham start to have problems
- HISTORY: The unique quality of Arsenal: players, supporters, owners and managers, united as one.
Untold Arsenal – the (fairly) complete index
- Untold History…Untold Media … Untold Ref Reviews …
- Untold Economics … Untold Corruption … Untold Wenger …
- Untold News … Untold Fifa … Untold Players … Untold Injuries
- Untold Statistics … Untold Tactics … Untold 2011/2 …
- Untold match reviews … Untold fans …
- Untold Stadia … Untold Literature …
- Untold humour …Arsenal History Society … “Making the Arsenal” …
- Untold Emirates … Arsenal Independent Supporters Association