OK, so let us pause and consider what’s missing.
- Theo Walcott: 4 in 14 this season but with the promise of more to come.
- Olivier Giroud: 14 in 24 this season, and now a regular scorer
- Alexis Sanchez: 9 in 18 this season.
So not only is it clear that the headline
Deal Agreed : Club To Announce Signing Of £25m La Liga Star On January 1
is totally untrue, the whole story is based around a nonsense in terms of not scoring.
But let’s go further. Let’s strip out league cup and charity shield matches and look at our top two scorers: Arsenal have played 16 league games and six Champs League games – a total of 22 games,
- Giroud has played 21 and scored 14 – a 66% scoring record
- Alexis has played 17 and scored 9 – a 52% scoring record.
Anyway, since I am here with the rubbish here is some more…
Aleksandr Kokorin of Dynamo Moscow is on his way according to the Metro for £4.3m. He is a forward also.
Joel Campbell will be sold to Newcastle next month, according to Paul Merson.
Don Balon says that James Rodríguez is leaving in the summer and Mesut Özil will go back because he so clearly enjoyed himself in Madrid and is so disliked by the fans of Arsenal. Hmmm. The implication is that the deal with Arsenal was merely a loan for the player to be properly rounded.
The Isco story continues and the Metro have it again and again. Isco from Real Mad to Arsenal for £29m
Roberto Martínez wants Calum Chambers as a replacement for Stones in the January window according to the Mirror.
That’s all the gibberish transfer tales, but here’s an injury thought (injuries being what the drunks in the bars talk about when they run out of made up transfers).
O 5 December 2014 the Independent said, “Arsenal could have up to 11 players missing for the match against Stoke on Saturday.
“In a worst-case scenario, Arsene Wenger will be missing his first and second-choice goalkeepers, meaning Emiliano Martinez will start in goal again, and three defenders.
“The Physio Room keep track of injuries in the Premier League and show that the Gunners are the worst hit of all the 20 teams.”
The team we put out was…
- 26 Martinez
- 39 Bellerin (Welbeck – 45′ )
- 21 Chambers
- 04 Mertesacker
- 03 Gibbs (Campbell – 92′ )
- 20 Flamini
- 16 Ramsey
- 15 Oxlade-Chamberlain
- 19 Cazorla
- 17 Sánchez
- 12 Giroud (Podolski – 63′ )
And yes Emiliano Martinez was third choice keeper. But no so utterly disastrous as that phrase suggests. He has played 13 times for Wolverhampton this season. OK not the top division, but not at all bad for a 23 year old keeper.
Want to know a bit more about our publisher? There’s an interview with Tony Attwood here.
From the anniversaries file
- 16 December 1983: Don Howe became manager, having previously been reserve team coach for Bertie Mee and first team coach in 1968. See also here
- 16 December 1995: Arsenal drew with Chelsea during disastrous 15 match run which gained just four wins. Dixon scored what was only Arsenal’s second goal in four consecutive games.