by Don McMahon
In answer to Dr.Billy’s excellent question in his most recent post, (Why do some football supporters get so angry?) here are a few points I’ve discovered over the years of treating mental health issues in angry supporters like DG (aka; something’s rotten in Denmark) and other aaa/WOB cheerleaders:
1) The internet is mostly anonymous…..few know the true character or identity of the vast majority of posters on UA, with the exception of self-revealed information. Therefore it is safe to say the most outrageous and hurtful things without any consequences. Where else in the world can you do that?
2) Being basically negative, angry and irrational, the hard-core aaa adopt the ¨create your own reality¨ paradigm that Trump has profited from with the desperate souls in the US and as the Brexit champions in the UK did as well.
3) There is a general malaise and mental instability propagating worldwide, fed by the genuine desperation, disillusionment and disgust of so many people at those in authority; those one percenters in the shadows controlling monopolies for their profit and our suffering, and particularly those who we were told to trust and respect (clergy, civil servants, referees, etc) who have been revealed all too often to be self-serving in the extreme and perverse in reality. This malaise has been adopted by our plastic fanboys as a raison-d’etre for their aaa mentality and as a justification for their behaviours.
4) There is a culture of blame, whose sole object is to find someone who is ¨at fault¨, responsible or otherwise accountable for ALL our Gooner woes. That means the blamers MUST simplify rather complex issues into a 2-3 syllable meme, like: Wenger out, or We want OUR Arsenal back, etc. without any rational or lucid arguments why.
5) Very few of us who contribute to UA hide our identities. Tony and Walter are both completely transparent (not unlike our favourite German midfielder lately) and other people who use their real names do so without fear of being ¨revealed¨ and do so in the firm conviction that we have nothing to hide.
On the other hand the aaa snipers hidden behind their avatars and safely sheltered at LeGrove and display a certain ¨shyness¨ at having any light shone on them. This is a classical personality disorder and one they must address. IF what they say is true and provable they need have no fear of defending it with facts, figures and rational, logical debate….none of which they espouse on UA.
6) The media (particularly TV, video games and cinema) and on occasion, the music industry, have tended to present ubiquitous and repeatedly gratuitous violence and uncontrolled anger as being a hero’s, ordinary citizen’s or anti-hero’s way of dealing with things they don’t like. Those with less self-understanding and control, see this as an invitation to express themselves in a similar way. The aaa love this laissez-faire, get out of jail free card with passion and use it at will.
7) Psychologists have long known that the ability to humanely express anger and resentment, frustration and aggression in a healthy way is essential to what is known as the homogeneity of our mental processes.
Simply put, the more one deals with anger and other negative emotions in a safe and positive way, the more one’s mental balance is maintained in equilibrium and the more one can grow effectively and intellectually. The reverse is also true, the more one vents negatively and ineffectually, rages at the injustice of it all and wallows in doom, gloom and a dark need for revenge, the more their psychological state worsens. One only has to look at Trump to see the consequences of uncontrolled narcissism and anger.
Football is supposed to be just a game, a pastime, a distraction from life’s more sombre pursuits. When it becomes a destructive passion, a source of angst and a pursuit of irrational folly, then it is time to take a break……failure to do so can be seen in our aaa whiners darkness and despair.
If you appreciate what we do and would like to help Untold Arsenal, please
- Follow us on Twitter @UntoldArsenal
- Follow us on Facebook (UntoldArsenalToday)