THE MORE THINGS CHANGE………..Don McMahon
We faithful Arsenal supporters over the Pond are currently being subjected to the most abject and distressing barrage of BS, narcissism, xenophobic and misogynistic offal ever conceived by the mind of man, as the ¨Donald¨, resplendent in his blond wig and chauvinism, holds court before the American public.
The court jester has also become the wannabe King, with the approval of a faction of crazy, racist, right wing fundamentalist nut cases and aaa type characters, more at home in a Disney cartoon than the real world.
This confirms my conviction that a minority of Yanks have become so gullible, pessimistic, and desperate, and of questionable mental stability that they will believe anything anyone says, IF it promises to makes things ¨better¨! Sound familiar? Tony’s recent excellent article about the Sports ministry ¨ threatening¨ to withhold £££ from the sweet FA IF they don’t reform themselves, has led me to consider the following.
In the case of the UK minister- this is all a ¨son et lumiere¨ or dog & pony show to distract your average UK citizen and football supporter, who these politicians regard as;
1) Too stupid to really understand anything past key stage 1 level, single sentences so simple a chimpanzee could understand them,
2) Ensure that the politician is ¨on the record¨ as opposing the inefficient, bumbling, corrupt and narcissistic FA, so that in the eventuality that it all blows up, their ass is covered,
3) Promise what you have no intention of delivering (truly a political art), and when it isn’t delivered, blame everything and everyone but NEVER take responsibility,
4) Gain brownie points from the media and your party hierarchy since any news is good news, and media coverage ¨enhances¨ the veneer of caring and decisiveness – always good for re-election,
5) ¨Prove¨ that you are tough and dedicated to rooting out ¨incompetence, indecision and mediocrity¨ in Football, even while displaying the same in your professional standards, and in your actions,
6) Take a ¨side¨ in the inevitable political debate that will spring up temporarily and subside equally rapidly as the next mini-crisis rears its welcome head,
7) All the while having a laugh at the imbeciles who voted for you and will take you at your word once again, despite countless prior disappointments, like a beaten and abused spouse returning to her abuser out of a mistaken belief that things will improve if ONLY she was nicer to him!
Trump was incorrectly reporting as having said (1998 interview) that IF he was ever to run for the presidency, he would choose the Republican party as their constituents are so stupid that they will believe anything you tell them, without any critical thought or dissent.
While this may in fact be the case, he most certainly is testing the waters to see what he can make people believe and having a jolly laugh as well. The UK sports minister is testing the waters as well. Once it becomes unarguably apparent that the sweet FA will not embark on a serious review and renovation of their bloated bureaucracy and that, in fact, as in the past, they will batten down the hatches and ride out the storm, confident in the knowledge that nothing will ever be done to change things, then all will return to the status quo, as it has so many times in the past.
Why should any of us hope that things will change when we see?
- FIFA being driven onto the rocks once again by a corrupt leadership,
- The politicians who got the Brexit vote passed, floundering on their promises,
- The repetitive comedy of errors and pantomime previous UK bigwigs have engendered when trying to get the FA to change its miscreant ways,
- The PIGMOB ceaselessly and invariably making a mockery of the Laws,
- The media turning a blind eye to real Football issues whilst reporting avidly on the luxurious ride the Arsenal players took to go to the US,
- The FA’s persistent myopic approach to coaching development, despite endless proof that foreigners don’t affect the quality of the English team but poor and limited coaches do,
- The assault on the messenger (anti-doping association) and the cop-out by the OEC on the Russian athletes ban and
- The mindless slavishness and wilful ignorance of the aaa to a perennial, blinkered meme about the Arsenal, Wenger, Gazidis, Kroenke and the Board!
Thank God Wenger and the Arsenal have standards that privilege integrity, sound financial management, sustainable player and youth development, excellent stewardship of our beloved Club, rational and carefully considered investment of our resources and a dignified view of football!
- Crisis already: all central defenders out, nobody to play anmore… or do we?
- Why are people so negative about Arsenal? The first answers.
- The Absolute Arsenal Transfer Index: 86 players we are signing, 21 players we are losing.
Untold Arsenal has published five books on Arsenal – all are available as paperback and three are now available on Kindle. The books are
- The Arsenal Yankee by Danny Karbassiyoon with a foreword by Arsene Wenger.
- Arsenal: the long sleep 1953 – 1970; a view from the terrace. By John Sowman with an introduction by Bob Wilson.
- Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football. By Tony Attwood, Andy Kelly and Mark Andrews.
- Making the Arsenal: a novel by Tony Attwood.
- The Crowd at Woolwich Arsenal by Mark Andrews.
You can find details of all five on our new Arsenal Books page