How referees are not quite as independent as we would like them to be.
Untold Referees is part of “Untold Arsenal” – an ever growing collection of articles and comment on numerous aspects of football from a pro-Arsenal perspective. A list of other sections within Untold Arsenal is given at the end of this page, and on the home page of the site.
Background: Initially Untold Arsenal started to publish referee reviews of Arsenal matches, and through this we found some evidence of what appeared to be consistent bias by referees against Arsenal. The point was then made we would get a better overall picture of what is going on if we also analysed errors made by referees in non-Arsenal EPL games as well.
This site records our findings. A summary of our position from the point of view of evidence is given here.…
Untold Referees is written by a team who draw together their reports on how referees have performed in various matches, based on TV reporting of games. We use the TV since it allows us to check and re-check decisions – but we are at the mercy of the TV stations which don’t always show each and every decision. If you would like to contribute to the work of the panel please do get in touch with us via WalterBroeckx@hotmail.com
Past reports from Untold Referees are given below (these are roughly in date order starting with the latest) and after that the index to all the sites within the Untold series.
You might also be interested in this associated site…
- English papers continue to deny refereeing issues, but Sky breaks ranks
- PGMOL is breaking its own rules by appointing Dean. Do we smell the stench of calciopoli?
- Match Review: Michael Jones – Arsenal Vs Norwich City (3 – 1) [13/04/2013]
- Match Review: Andre Marriner – Fulham Vs Arsenal (0 – 1) [20/04/2013]
- Match Review: Howard Webb – West Bromwich Albion Vs Arsenal (1 – 2) [06/04/2013]
- How knowing who the ref is can help you beat the bookies
- What is wrong with PL refs? Case study: Clattenburg
- Be careful in wishing for new owners
- Match Referee Review: Martin Atkinson – Arsenal v Aston Villa (2 – 1) [23/02/2013]
- Ref Review: Jonathan Moss – Swansea City Vs Arsenal (0 – 2) [16/03/2
- Match Review: Mark Clattenburg – Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (2 – 1) [03/03/2013]
- Arsenal are 38 points down each season before a ball is kicked
- So what is wrong with the Premier League? – part 2.
Match Review: Mike Dean – Arsenal Vs Manchester City (0 – 2) [13/01/2013]
- Ref Review: Lee Probert – Southampton Vs Arsenal (1 – 1) [01/01/2013]
- Ref Review: Chris Foy – Arsenal Vs Newcastle United (7 – 3) [29/12/2012]
- “Nightmare scenario” scare mongers fail to grasp fundamentals
- Ref Review: Jonathan Moss – Wigan Athletic Vs Arsenal (0 – 1) [22/12/2012]
- Match Review: Mike Dean – Manchester United Vs Arsenal (2 – 1) [03/11/2012]
- Ref Review: Michael Oliver – Everton Vs Arsenal (1 – 1) [28/11/2012]
Southampton v Arsenal – two ditches and a wall
- Ref Review: Arsenal v Swansea
- The mysterious and secret 5th official: an Untold exclusive
- Ref Review: Anthony Taylor – Reading Vs Arsenal (2 – 5) [17/12/2012]
- Bowing for the mighty and powerful
- Ref Review: Lee Mason – Aston Villa Vs Arsenal (0 – 0) [24/11/2012]
- Ref Review: Howard Webb – Arsenal Vs Tottenham Hotspur (5 – 2) [17/1
- What to make of Clattenburg, what to make of Chelsea?
- Proper time, improper time, Fergie time, PGMOL time. Time to stop timewasting
- Match Review: Kevin Friend – Arsenal Vs Southampton (6 – 1) [15/09/2012]
- Over 100 ref decisions checked per game. Referee decisions upgrade is complete
- Foreign players dive more than English players; English refs give support to English players.
- Liverpool plan to start diving if refs don’t play fair
- What happened to Referee Decisions
- Football corruption allegations keep rolling along
- Money can also buy you troubles
- May you live in interesting times – how the media reports Untold stories
- Jack’s back but who drops out.
- Ref Review: the ultimate conclusion – what to do next?
- REF REVIEW 2012: Blatant Bias, incompetence, imbalance, inaccuracy, poor selection policy
- The Untold Award for the Best Referee of 2012
- Ref Review – the competency tables. The most competent ref for last season
- Howard Webb – Liverpool Vs Arsenal (0 – 2)
- Looking for an explanation for Mike Dean
Ref Review: Stoke v Arsenal (Lee Mason)
Do refs get told – don’t do Man U again?
- We need two refs and two extra linesman – plus technology
To find out how well refs did in 2011/12 we analysed their every move. Now we start the reports:
EPL REFEREE REVIEW 2012- An historic study on the refs in the EPL
12 Regional view: London
What went on during the season:
- The last ref review: Wigan 4 Newcastle 0. Now for the fun
- Ref Review: Newcastle 2 Tottenham 2 – Ref: V Good
- Ref Review: Man City 3 QPR 2
- Soccer refs in North America. And you thought PGMOL was dodgy
- How to know the ref’s decision before anyone else, and become the smartest fan in the ground
Ref Review: Liverpool 4 Chelsea 1 – the ref done good
What is it like being a Fifa Ref? The inside story.
The reviews are collected here with the last review published shown first.
Untold Ref Review: Sunderland 0 Man U 1
Untold Ref Review: Chelsea 0 Newcastle 2
- The Ultimate review of Refs’ Performances. The start of the complete analysis.
- Untold Ref Review: Chelsea 0 Newcastle 2
Untold Ref Review: Newcastle Utd 0 Man City 2
- Untold Ref Review: Tottenham Hotspur 2 Blackburn Rovers 0
- Billy the Dog on the 3 players likely to sign this week. Or not
- Untold Ref Review: Man U 4 Everton 4
- Ref Review: Man U 1 Fulham 0. Oh for goodness sake.
- Untold Ref Review: Sunderland 1 Liverpool 0
- Ref Review: Bolton 1 Tottenham 4, Dean is Dean and always will be
- Untold Ref Review: Newcastle 1 QPR 0
- Untold Ref Review: Chelsea 0 Tottenham 0
- The unbelievable unacceptable truth: a preview of this season’s refs’ figures
Penalties: Comparing Manchester U and Arsenal
Untold Ref Reviews
Norwich 1 Man City 6 – a pattern emerges?
Arsenal v Chelsea Dean does great! Yes! Honest!
Arsenal v Chelsea Ref Review: Dean does great! Yes! Honest!
Untold Ref Review: Arsenal v Wigan
The referee is a cartoon villain (and yes it is a record – same ref for six games in one season)
A quick look back: Ref review for Wolverhampton v Arsenal
Another look back: Our last Chelsea review (v Wigan)
Untold PGMOL –
1: How the shadowy PGMOL not only runs the premier leagues refs, but also influences what appears in the media.
2: How PGMOL controls what is said on TV through “Dermot”
3: The Refs on the Media – How the rules are changed to fit the story
PGMOL looks after Premier League refs. But are they serious?
Latest Untold Ref Reviews… (more reviews will appear shortly)
The referee series: what is wrong with the Premier League System
Referee bias: A review of the last five seasons
Arsenal v Man City
Untold Ref Review: Arsenal 1 Man C 0
It is Atkinson. Find out what that means in today’s Ref Watch
Arsène unedited: on the subject of refs, plus trafficking of child footballers
Match officials: Attacks upon linesmen and the professionalisation of refs
Match fixing: Media rush to deny match fixing takes place
QPR v Arsenal
Ref Review: QPR v Arsenal – the ref review
Our last match – how the referee did. Everton 0 Arsenal 1
Wrong calls by the refs. We compare Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man C, Man U, Tottenham
Our latest Untold Ref Review is… Manchester City 3 Fulham 0
- Which referees are fit for purpose in the Premier League. We reveal the awful truth
- Are the referees in the Premier League bent? The Untold Analysis
- Referee Atwell relegated by the ref authorities. Does that mean that they are taking note of Untold Ref Reviews at last?
- Ref Review: Swansea 1 Chelsea 1
- Ref Review: Wigan 0 Man City 1
Referees: the geographical bias
Referees update – are they listening to Untold at last? Surely not!
- REF REVIEWS: Man City 3 Stoke 0 – Yaya Toure is untouchable
- REF REVIEWS: Tottenham 1 Chelsea 1 – the ref had a draw on his coupon!
- REF REVIEWS: Stoke 2 Tottenham 1 – one of the worst ref performances of the season
- REF REVIEWS: Man C 3 Newcastle 1 – an excellent game for the ref
- REF REVIEWS: Wigan 1 Chelsea 1 – a dreary non-event
- REF REVIEWS: Arsenal 1 Wolverhampton 1. Not a good performance
- REF REVIEWS: Villa 1 Arsenal 2 – one wrong decision but otherwise very good
- REF REVIEWS: Newcastle 0 Chelsea 3 – one shocking decision changes the whole game
- REF REVIEW: Man U 4 Wolves 1
- CORRUPTION: Match fixing in the Premier League, the proof, the evidence, the prediction.
- REFEREES: The shocking truth, only one in five red cards in the Premier League is correct
- REVIEW: Avery good looking ugly win, a bounce back, a satisfying win
- PREVIEW: Villa versus the Arsenal, plus a little chat about Gibbs.
- RETROSPECTIVE: What we learned from the Man City game
- REF PREVIEW: Man City v Arsenal – preparing for the game that will answer a lot of questions about Phil Dowd
- REF REVIEW: Fulham 1 Liverpool 0
- REF REVIEW: Wigan 0 Arsenal 4
- REF REVIEWS: Man C 5 Norwich 1
- Blackburn 0 Chelsea 1
- REF PREVIEW: Arsenal, Everton, complete with pictures, graphs and explanations!
- REF REVIEW: Olympiacos v Arsenal
- REF PREVIEW: If you have never read one of our ref previews, try this one. We go right back to basics and then look at Wigan/Arsenal
- REF REVIEW: Man U 1 Newcastle 1
- THE RULES EXPLAINED: How the ref got it wrong, utterly wrong, and then right
- REF REVIEW: Tottenham 3 QPR 1
- REF REVIEW: The worst and most biased refereeing ever seen at the Emirates = a detailed analysis.
- REF PREVIEW: DogFace Château nerf de pap 2011 and Mike Dean
- REF REVIEW: Arsenal win the group v Dortmond
- REF REVIEW: Chelsea 1 Liverpool 2 – what happens when there’s no ref!
- REF PREVIEW: The final farewell for Wednesday’s ref.
- REF REVIEW: Norwich/Arsenal – you won’t believe the second half!
- PHIL DOWD WATCH: Norwich v Arsenal. That’s it then, no chance
REF PREVIEW v WBA: We’ve had this ref twice and we’ve lost both times!!!!!!!!!
REF ANALYSIS: Is Dowd really the best ref in the Premier League?
REF REVIEW: Liverpool 1 Norwich 1
- REF REVIEW: Everton 0 Man U 1. A game of two halves.
- REF REVIEW: Man City 4 Aston Villa 1
- REF REVIEW: Chelsea 3 Arsenal 5, and as for the wrongly called fouls…
- REF SHOCKER: Penalties are far less likely to be correct in Arsenal games than elsewhere.
- REF SHOCKER: 32% of all decisions in Arsenal matches are wrong!
REF WATCH:Chelsea v Arsenal
- Man U 1 Man C 6: The ref can get it right when he tries.
- REF WATCH: Clarifying the way in which reviews are done.
- REF REVIEW: Liverpool 1 Man U 1, Man U get the most wrong calls.
- REF REVIEW: MU – MC not just the score was historic
- REF REVIEW: How biased are we?
- REF REVIEW: Marseille v Arsenal. For once luck does balance out.
- REF REVIEW: Blackburn v Man City
- REF REVIEW: Which clubs get the most wrong calls against them?
- REF REVIEW: Bolton v Chelsea – a perfect case of utter bias
- REF REVIEW: Arsenal v Sunderland
- REF WATCH: “Anything can happen in the next 2 hours” (It’s Howard Webb Again)
REF REVIEW: Man U 2 Norwich 0
Untold weekly ref review – week 1
Referees: conspiracy theory or practice – Part 2 of the special investigation.
Referees: conspiracy theory or practice – Part 2 of the special investigation.
Untold Arsenal – the (fairly) complete index
(please note we’re still working on getting these indexes into shape – the Media index is just about done as is the page on Corruption, but others are still awaiting a make over)
- Untold History…Untold Media … Untold Ref Reviews …
- Untold Economics … Untold Corruption … Untold Wenger …
- Untold News … Untold Fifa … Untold Players … Untold Injuries
- Untold Statistics … Untold Tactics … Untold 2011/2 …
- Untold match reviews … Untold fans …
- Untold Stadia … Untold Literature …
- Untold humour …Arsenal History Society … “Making the Arsenal” …
- Untold Emirates … Arsenal Independent Supporters Association
Write for Untold Arsenal
We really do welcome writers who have a positive view of the Wenger revolution, or who have something new to say about any of the topics that we regularly cover – all listed above. Just email your idea to Tony.Attwood@aisa.org or send in the whole article as a Word file attached to an email.
Making the Arsenal
Full details of the novel which tells the story of Arsenal’s collapse and birth as a new club in 1910. Details here. A new book on Woolwich Arsenal FC is in preparation.
- Arsenal v Lens: the team, the home/away form and the strange coincidences
- Arsenal v Lens: they had a poor start but are now flying
- Where there is power, money and greed there is corruption
- Why do Tottenham players get fouled more than those of any other club?
- The media, the League and PGMO. An insidious agreement rears its ugly head