HINDSIGHT OR BLINDSIGHT
Recent posts by certain moaners and negative fanboys have displayed a perfect 20/20 hindsight that covers the last 12 years or so. However I would not call what these fanboys display, hindsight, but rather BLINDSIGHT.
Here is the definition of this optical disease: It is a cognitive disorder in which their optical nerve gets crossed with their rectal nerve and they end up with a shitty outlook on life and the Arsenal! Here is the DSM-5 (psychiatric manual) repertoire of symptoms accompanying this disorder:
1) At the start of each season sufferers have elevated the Arsenal’s potential to Olympian heights aided by the media and other fickle fanboys, only to be brought harshly to earth at the end of said season, as the team performs well but NOT to their expectations. They immediately and incessantly BLAME our ¨failures¨ on Wenger, Gazidis, the Board, the players, the alignment of the stars,etc. thus assuaging their need to feel better, having voided their bladders so pleasingly on the Arsenal.
2) These poor souls conveniently forget the other 19 teams in the EPL, including the former champions and big money teams, almost all of whom perform worse than the Arsenal, and they thus display very selective memories, a sure sign of blindsight. They lament only about the Arsenal not automatically winning their cherished baubles each year and place the blame on Wenger one way or the other. They lament about AFC finishing below Leicester but forget we were the only team to beat them home and away in the EPL!
3) They are extremely simplistic, vulnerable, manipulated and prodded by the media’s false expectations and spurious stories about how weak Arsenal’s other challengers are (the top 6) and forget that the mid-table teams have improved significantly season over season. They need black and white explanations and quick solutions rather than taking the time to explore complex issues fairly and profoundly. Everything is superficial and obvious to them: Wenger is a fool, AFC are cheapskates etc.
4) They raise the bar continuously, using their inflated expectations as a stick to beat the Club and Wenger with, regardless of reality or concrete circumstances. Suddenly the FA Cup becomes an essential trophy, despite their previous claims that only the CL and EPL titles mean anything. If we only had Mourinho, we’d win everything, why didn’t we buy anyone…anyone last summer!!!!!!
5) They offer lame and dubious examples of why the team is excrement and Wenger a clown, yet cannot appreciate the actual success the team achieves (coming second, 3 trophies in the last 4 years, finishing above the spuds 22 years in a row, building the best stadium in England), because the Arsenal is only as good as its worse game for them. For them, ever silver lining is a guaranteed disaster sure to happen.
6) They deny actual obstacles the Arsenal have had to overcome each season; long-term injuries, proven poor officiating (perhaps even wilful and organized?), players losing form, toxic home fan boys, monetary restrictions both actual and philosophical (lack of real talented, affordable transfers), etc.
They prefer to pontificate on such dubious and debatable events such as; purported poor substitution policy, Wenger’s supposed transfer foolishness, Giroud’s being a useless twat, Ozil nicking a living, Theo being another, bigger useless twat, Wenger’s tactical naivété, our horrible medical and rehabilitation expertise,Wenger overplaying his squad and so on. When newly transferred players on other teams perform well, it is Wenger’s slowness and miserliness in buying all of them that is thrown in his face, regardless of the impossibility of him predicting such performances ahead of time or the ridiculousness and impossibility of trying to afford all these miracle-workers. in one go
7) They have the firm delusion that players are getting £200k/week to wander aimlessly around the park and do nothing, when in actual fact, players’ compensation is kept a well-guarded secret and anything the media spout, like so many other claims, is pure speculation and often outright lies….so they swallow the media and aaa BS without the slightest reference to reality or concern for the truth. The truth is what they say it is and ONLY what supports their agenda.
8) In their blindsight they repeat the ubiquitous meme that the same ¨mistakes¨ are being repeated season after season but cannot EVER actually specify which ones they are and on the rare occasion they do, inevitably fail miserably in presenting any rational and factual list of credible examples. However when UA presents dozens of thorough referee reviews done by officials and very competent assessors, they rabidly DENY whatever conclusions are offered and call UA a conspiracy site. Un poids et deux mesures as we say over here (double standards: A situation where, out of two classes of entities, only one is expected to follow a certain standard while the other is treated more leniently.)
9) Therefore blindsight refers to the capacity of blinkered and negative, agenda-driven, entitled, pessimistic pseudo-supporters to vainly try and justify their failure to wholeheartedly support the team they supposedly LOVE, simply because it isn’t meeting their self-anointed, infallible expectations. One can look under the definition of ¨delusions of grandeur¨ to further understand their self-righteous, arrogant and ignorant take on football in general and the Arsenal specifically.
Suffice it to say that these guys and gals seem to know more than Wenger, be better placed to manage the Arsenal than Gazidis and the Board, outperform Walter and his team of analysts, unerringly judge future events using their excellent hindsight, unfailingly behave as the best Arsenal supporters as long as the team wins, display excellent overall knowledge of Football (as long as it’s the Fantasy variety) and never condescend to write an article for UA because they will not cast pearls before UA swine. Poor UA!
- Savage calls Arsenal fan “pathetic, pathetic, pathetic” on radio for celebrating victory.
- guess what…?
- Arsenal v Villa. Only half the teams in the Prem next season were there 10 years ago.
Insult of the Day: (for Robbie Savage)