By Tony Attwood
Loïc Rémy is a 26 year old striker who plays for Marseilles. Apparently Harry Redknapp went to see the player last weekend with £4m in a brown envelope, but no deal was struck. The press said the £4m was his first year’s salary but we all know that was a euphemism.
Marseilles are said to be willing to transfer him, and Arsenal look possible as the player is said to be an Arsenal fan. Although he cost Marseilles £14m in 2010 the current price is thought to be lower, as he has not had a great campaign and there was a scare about a heart condition at one time.
He was born in 1987 and played for Olympique Lyonnais youth team before graduating up and for a little while played alongside Sylvain Wiltord
He then played for RC Lens on loan before moving to Nice before moving on again, in August 2010 to Olympique de Marseille.
On the international front he has played for the France under 20 and under 21 team as well as the full national team.
For Marseilles he has played 68 league games and scored 27 goals but this season it has been just 8 league games and no goals, although he has played five in the league cup and scored four. Overall for the club it is 95 appearances and 39 goals.
The question is, how does he fit in? Is this enquiry just in case Theo doesn’t sign? Or is it to replace Gervinho? Or just another forward in case of injuries?
It is very hard to say: with a forward line of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo and Podolski we look very positive – and that leaves out Giroud. So, do we really need another front line man, especially one not firing on all cylinders at the moment?
Quite honestly, as usual, I haven’t got a clue.
Watch Arsenal Live Streams With StreamFootball.tv
- Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
- Making the Arsenal – how the modern Arsenal was born in 1910
- The Crowd at Woolwich Arsenal FC: crowd behaviour at the early matches
- Referee Decisions – just what are the refs up to this season?
- Parent News – what is going on in schools these days?
- The weight loss programme: The only guaranteed way to stay fit
- The Arsenal History Blog from the AISA Arsenal History Society
- A complete lack of an exit strategy is causing Arsenal havoc
- A forthcoming pre-season fixture we missed: the real north London derby!
- Arsenal keeper to be replaced by 8 year old who’s never played football
- Arsenal: ESR stays in dream team for next season, avoiding an almighty disaster?
- A once in a generation chance to sort out the FA: so this is what I’ve done