By Tony Attwood
When we are good, we are really good. We ended the game against West Ham with 69% of the possession, and 24 goal attempts, with 10 on target. For 12 minutes we were unbeatable. Any suggestion of anything else was a mere trick of the floodlights.
As for West Ham’s opening goal – it felt like we had to give them something just to make the game interesting. At the start Stefan said it was going to be a 3-1 win and that opening goal made it seem possible. (Stefan also complained that I had said previously that he left five minutes before the end and that this was an outrage which could lead to the withdrawal of all my banking rights. We compromised on three minutes, although the gent who used Stefan’s wife’s seat left a good 8 minutes early last night).
But there are many questions unanswered. Like how could Sam the Fat put out a team like this? Yes WHU did some defending in depth, but nothing like the revolting “park the team bus” and “kick the shit out of them” which led to Untold’s description of the tactics as “rotational fouling” and “rotational time wasting”. Yes they still do high balls and industrial challenges in the nature of the Fat Slug of the North, but there are bits of the old West Ham there too, so maybe the WHU spirit is being poured down the Fatman’s throat. Who can tell?
West Ham tried to play, and really the only sadness was the problems at the away supporters end in the second half. Of course I only see from the opposite end of the stadium, so maybe it was Arsenal stewards fighting amongst each other. Maybe it was nothing.
- Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
- Making the Arsenal – how the modern Arsenal was born in 1910
- The Crowd at Woolwich Arsenal FC: crowd behaviour at the early matches
- Referee Decisions – just what are the refs up to this season?
- Parent News – what is going on in schools these days?
- The weight loss programme: The only guaranteed way to stay fit
- The Arsenal History Blog from the AISA Arsenal History Society
- Looking for a terraced house in Northamptonshire?
- Hazard kicking ball boy, FA also at fault?
- Arsenal – West Ham, the preview
- Arsenal – West Ham : what can we expect from the ref?
- Who wants to work for Chelsea, who would want to come to Arsenal?
- Arsenal and others will go to court to get Financial Fair Play
- Arsenal loyalty through locality and history
- Uefa reaches insanity as it contemplates the problem of banners on economic matters
- Arsenal v Leicester: comparing the form, and the goalscorers
- Arsenal v Leicester: how will the ref handle Leicester’s mulitple tackling?
- What sort of referee is Darren England? The statistics reveal some odd facts.
- Premier League 2022/23 – Matchweek 2 Refereeing matters
- Are we all really sure that no other club behaves like Barcelona?