The Curse of Arsenal was placed upon Tottenham Hotspur (the Tiny Totts) following the appalling scenes at the Portsmouth vs Tinies game in which Sol Campbell was abused. The failure of Tottenham to take any serious action over the incident resulted in the Curse being made official.
As we saw last season (when Birmingham and Milan were cursed) the curse can have dramatic effects, and already this is the case with the Tiny Totts.
Consider first their results
Drew is Wisla Krakow (ok we weren’t really paying attention and hand’t quite got ourselves together by that point.)
The defeats against Hull Stoke and Udinese.
But that’s not all. Despite having a team low on morale, and a lack of players in suitable positions, David Bentley decided it was a good time to come out and criticise the club (his comments were reprinted in this column a few days back.) He was dropped completely from the Udinese match.
The Woodgate came out and said that this Tinies team is worse than Leeds, and Leeds went down.
All this – 3 defeats and 2 rebellions – since the Curse was put on Tottenham. Certainly if the success we had against Birmingham (directors arrested, club up for sale, allegations – totally unproven – of sexual misconduct and financial impropriety, relegation etc) are anything to go by, this is going to be a fun season for the Tiny Totts. With Milan we got a couple of defeats that meant that the club are not in the Champions League, and Mr Flamini finds himself spending quite a bit of time on the bench rather than playing (which is what he said he always wanted.)
So there we are. With a bit of luck the fun is about to start.
- How a 14th monk described Arsenal’s failure to buy Moisés Caicedo and Mykhailo Mudryk
- The January transfer window moved few players around: but did any club benefit?
- Are Newcastle United really in financial difficulty? And what about Arsenal?
- Did Arsenal want Mudryk and Caicedo, and was it just luck that they didn’t sign them?
- Is the Premier League getting more exciting or simply ever more predictable?