Sunderland v Arsenal 25 October 2014 – The Match Officials
by Andrew Crawshaw
Firstly here is the current Wrong Important Decisions table including the Hull game
|Wrong Important Decisions||Favouring Arsenal||Favouring Opponents|
|2nd Yellow Cards||0||4|
|Possible Cost in Points||2||13|
No signs of the decisions starting to even out yet!
The Match Officials for this week are
- Referee Kevin Friend
- Assistants – J Collin and C Hatzidakis
- Fourth Official – L Mason
This is the second time this year for Kevin Friend, he was in charge for our 2-2 draw away at Everton and made something of a hash of it. I thought it a bit early to start getting second visits from referees so thought I would see if it is only us so far
|Referee||Number of Games (out of a possible 9)||Teams the Referee has done twice this year|
|Anthony Taylor||9||QPR (away games at Spurs and West Ham both lost)
Spurs (home to W Ham won 4-0) Second game this weekend home to Newcastle
|Jonathan Moss||7||Stoke (away to Hull 1-1) second game this week away to Southampton|
|Kevin Friend||6||Everton (Home to Arsenal 2-2, Away to United (2-1)
Arsenal (Away to Everton and away to Sunderland this week)
|Lee Mason||6||Aston Villa (away to Liverpool, won 1-0 and this weekend away to QPR)|
|Mark Clattenberg||6||Southampton (Away at Liverpool lost 2-1 and home to QPR won 2-1)|
|Martin Atkinson||8||West Ham (away at Hull 2-2 draw, Home to City this weekend)|
|Michael Oliver||7||Liverpool (Away at City lost 3-1 and Home to W Brom won 2-1)
Stoke (Home to Leicester lost 1-0 and Home to Swansea won 2-1)
|Mike Dean||7||United (Home to Swansea lost 2-1 and away to W Brom drew 2-2)
C Palace (home to Burnley drew 0-0 and away to Hull lost 2-0)
|Mike Jones||5||C Palace (Away games at Newcastle 3-3 draw and this weekend at West Brom|
|Neil Swarbrick||4||Sunderland (Away at West Brom 2-2 draw and home to Stoke 3-1 win)|
|Phil Dowd||5||QPR (away at United lost 4-0 and home to Liverpool lost 2-3)|
To date only one referee, Anthony Taylor, has featured every week, 18 referees have been used of whom 5 have done only one or two games, so the workload is being carried by only 13 referees. No wonder that at week 9, 15 clubs have had repeat visits from referees. As we have said before this is unacceptable. There should be a minimum of 19 referees to ensure that each club has no referee more than twice, once home and once away.
Back to the Arsenal preview for this week.
Referee Kevin Friend
Up to this season Arsenal have had a good record with Kevin Friend, in fact I used to look forward to seeing his name on the appointments list. However up to this season we had always had him at home. This year he was the referee for our away game at Everton. Here is Walter’s referee review of that game :-
|Untold Ref Review: Everton/Arsenal. What is an advantage, and what’s wrong with assistant Garratt?|
His overall score was 60% (weighted) 18 wrong decisions in all 16 favouring Everton, 2 Arsenal so bias against the two teams 11/89. There were two wrong Important decisions
- Min 44 Naysmith was offside when he scored the opening goal for Everton, goal shouldn’t have stood
- Min 53 Wilshere should have been given a red card for studs up challenge on Barry
It should also be noted that the yellow card earned by Chambers should not have been given. Mr Garratt was the Assistant who missed the offside (and has previous when is comes to bad offside decisions against Arsenal)
As I said in my post summarising the first 8 games “One thing is for certain the first Everton goal shouldn’t have counted. What the effect on Arsenal of having to play with 10 men from minute 53 is a matter of conjecture. On balance a draw was probably the right result.”
At least for this game we don’t have Mr Garrett as Assistant, we have J Collin who was on duty for the City game this year. Last year he was one of Mike Dean’s usual crew and was on hand for our home game with Stoke (3-1 win), the nil nil home game with Chelsea, the one all home draw with City, the one nil away win at Spurs, the 2-2 draw at home to Southampton with Lee Mason in charge and the 1-0 home win at home to Spurs with Michael Oliver in charge.
The second Assistant is Mr C Hatzidakis, he has done 4 Premier Games so far this year, one each with Kevin Friend, Mike Dean, Michael Oliver and Craig Pawson. This weekend will be his fifth game and his first with Arsenal. (Note to away fans – be sure to give him a warm welcome)
- Mr Friend is primarily a home referee.
- He owes us a goal wrongly given to Everton in the last match of ours he refereed.
- Sunderland can’t play as badly as they did last week
- We can’t play as badly as we did against Anderlecht
- Don’t expect Mr Friend to give us any controversial decisions, penalties or Sunderland players being sent off are most unlikely
- Sunderland are likely to get away with far more force in challenges than we are
- Expect rotational fouling, targetted at Alexis and Wellbeck (if he plays)
- WSL Round Up – West Ham v Arsenal Sunday 18:45
- Arsenal lost, but it is all part of the drive toward long-term sustainability
- Everton v Arsenal: a happy video, line-up and what the league table will look like after
- Everton v Arsenal: Injuries, points needed for 4th, and Arsenal the first to 100?
- Everton v Arsenal: extraordinary figures seen in the last 6 games table