- By the Untold Arsenal Managerial Executive Committee & Bif the dog.
- And if you don’t get the headline don’t worry. It’s a very English joke that Blacksheep came up with.
- Anyway. the man from PSG is apparently coming to Arsenal after Arteta blew his chances by demanding total control of transfers in the Wengerian style. And of course just to prove the point some of the AS (alleged supporters) are in a negative frame of mind already.
- But Mr Emery has been quite successful. He was, for example, the man who won the Europa League three seasons running with Sevilla (2014, 2015, 2016) which was pretty good going.
- And with Paris Saint-Germain he won the League and Cup and League Cup treble this year. Not surprisingly he won the Trophée des Champions (that’s the Community Shield but without taking the money for a most important charitable cause but not telling anyone where the money went or how much there was or when it was handed over) in 2016 and 2017.
- Here is the top of the French League table this year.
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts 1 Paris Saint-Germain 38 29 6 3 108 29 79 93 2 Monaco 38 24 8 6 85 45 40 80 3 Lyon 38 23 9 6 87 43 44 78 4 Marseille 38 22 11 5 80 47 33 77 5 Rennes 38 16 10 12 50 44 6 58 6 Bordeaux 38 16 7 15 53 48 5 55 7 St Etienne 38 15 10 13 47 50 -3 55 8 Nice 38 15 9 14 53 52 1 54
What is interesting is that PSG obviously won the league by having more money than you can shake a stick at, and so I wonder what Arsenal have offered him in that regard. And since PSG is the club that Mr Wenger supports in France I wonder also if there was any link there.
But we must not be too carried away for in 2012 Emery was announced as the manager of Spartak Moscow with a two year contract. He only lasted four months and was sacked after a 1-5 defeat to Dynamo Moscow. On the other hand, Mr Wenger also had a rocky start in Japan but finally came good and delivered at Highbury and the Emirates knocking up an average of one trophy every two seasons.
And there is another link. Mr Emery apparently speaks little English, and Mr Wenger spoke no Japanese when he went. During that bad spell in Japan the chairman called Mr Wenger in for a meeting and asked him what was going wrong. Mr Wenger apparently said that the players were finding it hard to understand what he was telling them to do . The next thing he knew the club had sacked his translator.
That is not in any way to suggest that Mr Emery is going to suffer the same fate at Arsenal, but rather to point out that if he does have a run of poor results as he starts to get the team in the shape he wants, then we will undoubtedly have an uprising by the AAA who will blame the board for appointing an English comedian who liked to dress as a woman and died in 1983.
Emery’s contract ran out this summer, and we don’t know why it wasn’t renewed. Maybe though the clue comes with the issue of that pair of games in the Champions League against Barcelona, winning the first leg 4-0 and then losing the second leg 6-1 with some of the most dubious refereeing ever seen in the Champions League. Interestingly there were suggestions in the English press that there was something amiss in this regard – something they can never say regarding a League match because of PGMO control rules.
But as such the new man will be fully prepared for any oddities that come his way as the PGMO begin to get their teeth into the new man. He is known to be a stickler for detail, using a lot of video analysis to prepare each game.
It does look as if Arsenal’s head of football relations Raul Sanllehi, does know Mr Emery quite well, so that may also have been a link. who was previously Barcelona’s director of football.
All told Mr Emery has coached around 800 games with Lorca Deportiva, Alermia, Valencia, Spartak Moscow, Sevilla, and PSG. PSG decided not to renew his contract because of the defeats to Barcelona and Real Madrid in the Champions League, or so we are led to believe.
But it is the transfer dealings that fascinate me – the PSG team he put together this year cost a huge amount of money – money that Arsenal do not normally spend. And interestingly PSG are said to have offered Mr Wenger a job alongside Thomas Tuchel.
The PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is reported to have said of their departing manager, “He’s a big man. This is one of the first people I spoke to before buying the club, and he told me one thing that I never forgot: ‘You buy a diamond and it will be cut and shined’.”
- What takes clubs up and down the league: attack or defence?
- Referee Extremism: the situation in Spain and in England
- Didn’t appreciate KO time, M1 is a disaster, but watching Arsenal is a joy
- Arsenal v Newcastle: the team and league positons AFTER the game.
- Arsenal v Newcastle: injuries, yellow cards and recent form