Help us develop a database of Arsenal Anniversaries.
Vote for Untold in the awards for blogs and bloggers
We’re on Twitter @UntoldArsenal
By Tony Attwood
This was the third category in the recent Untold Awards discussion – the players we would most like to see at the club – ideally by the time the new season starts.
One of the most popular choices was Podolski, and since we held the poll, his transfer has been confirmed. Quite a change from last season when all we were hearing about at this time was Nasri and Fabregas. It rather seems to be Tottenham’s turn to go through that with Bale and others talking about looking at their future.
But that’s their problem. Who else was nominated?
Here’s the long list
- Javi Martinez
- Wayne Rooney
- Theirry Henry
- Moussa Dembele.
- Some unknown in the Laurent Koscielny mould
- Iker Muniain
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Toni Kroos
Some of the answers came with commentaries – and some admitted that their choice was not possible but was who they wanted to see.
One thing that struck me was the “Some unknown in the Laurent Koscielny mould” comment – which turned up several times – each time with the Koscielny name attached. It is interesting that just as some years back Song was at first derided and jeered by the AAA (in the years before Untold took them on and exposed what they were up to) but then recognised to be a star player, so Koscielny has suffered the same fate.
Koscielny is rather like Pires in this regard in that he looked rather lost and out of it at the start, but went on to become a star performer.
For the AAA this is not acceptable – Arsenal should buy top quality players and they should fit in at once. But football doesn’t work like that. The players have to work into the system – generally in a foreign country – and that takes time. But the only way to do this is to play in the first team.
What also is interesting is the sudden upsurge in interest in signing German players.
The player who got the most positive comments was Jan Vertonghen – so he wins the vote.
We’ve already got an article on him – and here’s the list of articles so far. More will follow through the spring and summer.
- Mario Götze’s arrival precedes massive clearout
- Javier Martinez
- The summer transfers: Jan Vertonghen
- Olivier Giroud’s transfer could come down to how well his club cope with being top of the league.
- Arsenal v Wolverhampton Wanderers: where will each team finish?
- Arsenal v Lens: what we found, what we felt, what they did
- Arsenal v Lens: the team, the home/away form and the strange coincidences
- Arsenal v Lens: they had a poor start but are now flying
- Where there is power, money and greed there is corruption