By Tony Attwood – star of stage, screen and Puma promotions
Suddenly everyone wants to play for Arsenal. Clearly they have seen the possession and attacking way Arsenal play, the mighty Emirates Stadium, the fact that Arsenal don’t muck around with maniacs with social problems, and of course they have caught up on our heritage via the Puma promotion (as per link above, and the last article).
This change of emphasis has of course caught some of the national press by surprise. But even the increasingly bizarre Telegraph says today, ” Breaking their Premier League transfer record for the second successive summer is a distinct possibility.”
Their current analysis is that Loic Remy from QPR is the prime target for right back, and that although Mario Balotelli is still available Wenger is “waiting for the outcome of a merry-go-round including Karim Benzema, Mario Mandzukic and Alexis Sanchez.”
Beyond that they add that “A holding midfielder is also a priority, with Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin on the list.”
But the old right wingers are a bit out of phase with the even-more-right-wingers in the “let’s laugh at foreigners” Daily Express claim that Alexis Sánchez is just of the new breed of player who says he doesn’t fancy the rather run down Anfield, with their penchant for misfits, and instead he wants to join Arsenal.
Apart from the joys of living in London, Sanchez is reported to have noted that Arsenal play in a similar way to the Barca style and Sanchez knows a move to the Emirates would only mean a change of club, not a change in how he plays.
But the Metro does still think we are after Mario Balotelli. Hey ho.
So there we are. Some names are new but certain ones just keep popping up, either because they are true or the journalists are too tried from a hectic night out at the Toppled Bollard, to write anything new.
Based on the longevity of the story we are going to sign
- Loic Remy
- Morgan Schneiderlin
- Alexis Sánchez
- Mathieu Debuchy
And coming up on the rails Jackson Martinez
Not all of them, of course, but quite possibly some.
- Untold Arsenal: part of the new kit designer team.
- Round pegs in a round hole; 7 players who would instantly fit at Arsenal
- Do you ever feel you are being treated with utter contempt?
- Who is still alive, who is already injured and who can still get injured?
- “Wenger is desperate to add to the Gunners’ strike force”
- So what can we make of Joel Campbell based on his world cup appearances?
- Top 10 Arsenal transfer slogans and the players behind them
- 117 players tipped as coming to Arsenal before the window closes
- Why Arsenal recruited a new defence first, then a new attack
- After two games we can start to make one or two judgements
- Winning the opening two league games is not that common for Arsenal
- Arsenal? Nothing to see here. It’s only news when they’re losing.