By Tony Attwood
As you may know apart from publishing Untold, I’m also responsible for the History of Arsenal website.
Aside from the regular articles about past events and players, and the occasional in depth analyses (for example into Arsenal’s involvement in the changes to the transfer rules and the interesting allegations about the re-arrangement of the two divisions in the League in 1919), our biggest job for a couple of years has been a compilation of all the interesting Anniversaries in the club – a sort of massive “On this day” chart – which now covers getting on for 5000 events.
And of course among those events are the sequences – consecutive wins, consecutive defeats, run of goalless games, and the like.
I mention this today because we’ve actually just achieved another record-breaking sequence with the victory over Liverpool – the highest number of consecutive wins at the Emirates – nine consecutive home league wins.
- 3 December Arsenal 1 Southampton 0
- 13 December Arsenal 4 Newcastle 1
- 26 December Arsenal 2 QPR 1
- 11 January Arsenal 3 Stoke 0
- 1 February Arsenal 5 Aston Villa 0
- 10 February Arsenal 2 Leicester 1
- 1 March Arsenal 2 Everton 0
- 14 March Arsenal 3 WHU 0
- 4 April Arsenal 4 Liverpool 1
What is interesting is not just that we have also been winning away, but that we are not utterly impregnable at home – the Monaco match proves that.
Anyway, I thought you might be interested in passing in some of the other sequences in the history of Arsenal, so I have set just a few of them out in date order on the Arsenal History site.
The anniversaries are housed in month by month files – and please do note they are not complete, and still contain inveteracies and contradictions. But we’re working through them month by month and every few weeks one of the files below gets a major update.
And here are a few of our classic articles
Classic Articles from the Arsenal History Society
- The biggest injury problems ever faced by an Arsenal manager
- Arsenal’s promotion in 1919. At last, the truth
- Exclusive: The interview with George Davie – the man who sued Arsenal and overturned the transfer system.
- The article that led to the creation of the statues at the Emirates Stadium
And a few of the series on this site….
- Arsenal’s name and how it changed
- Arsenal and Tottenham
- Anti-Arsenal – those who try to put us down throughout history
- Chairmen of Arsenal
- The First Double: 1971
- Iconic moments in the history of Arsenal
- Managers – from Royal Arsenal to Mr Wenger
- The origins of Arsenal
- Players, including updates on what players are doing now
- The Norris Files
- Statistics through the club’s history
- Woolwich Arsenal, the ground
- How much have Arsenal’s rivals spent on transfers in recent years?
- Why is it becoming so difficult to find a sponsor for new football stadium?
- Corruption flares up again in Italy, as Premier League figures don’t look too clever
- How much does a club have to spend on transfers to get a trophy?
- Does the team that is top after 14 games usually go on to win the league?