Watch Arsenal for Free!
Arsenal U21 v Stoke U21 Meadow Park Borehamwood Friday 20 November 19:00
by Andrew Crawshaw
The U21s get their league campaign going again on Friday evening with a match against Stoke at the Borehamwood ground. Kick-off is 19:00 and entry to the ground is free. OK you aren’t going to see the likes of Santi, Alexis and Giroud but you will almost certainly see TH14 (in his role as coach rather than player).
The U21s are playing in the second division of the league, due to a dreadful time last year . This year they are doing a lot better and so far have won all of the five matches they have played. They currently lie third in the table as the other teams have played either eight or nine.
|2||West Bromwich Albion||8||5||3||0||6||18|
|10||West Ham United||9||2||1||6||-6||7|
The last game was in September against Wolves with the result a 3 – 2 win. The team that day was :-
Macey, Iwobi , Pleguzuelo, Kamara, Moore, Mavididi, Bola, Willock, Bielik, Hinds and Sheaf with Huddart, Robinson, Mourgos, Eyoma and Chatzitheodoritis on the bench.
The goals came from Iwobi, Mavididi and Willock.
The likely Arsenal team :-
Assuming that both Cech and Ospina return from their Internationals fit and well then Macey is likely to retain his place, if not Huddart will probably start in goal.
At Centre Back We will likely see Bielik (who seems to be preferred here to DM) and Marc Bola or O’Connor. Julio Pleguezelo is likely to be on the bench.
The full backs are likely to be Tafari Moore on the right and Tyrell Robinson or Tolaji Bola (no relation to Marc) on the Left. It would be good to see Chiori Johnson on the bench if he has recovered from his injury which has kept him sidelined for many months.
The midfielders will probably come from Glen Kamara (DM), Ben Sheaf, Chris Willock and Daniel Crowley following his recall from loan.
In attack it is likely to be a choice from Kaylen Hinds, Alex Iwobi (if he isn’t required for the First Team squad), Stephy Mavididi, Jeff Reine-Adelaide and Aaron Eyoma.
All in all it should be a good chance to check up for yourselves on the progress of the younger players.
The current weather forecast is dry, partly cloudy, a gusty easterly wind making it feel no more than 2C so if you are going wrap up well.
Live updates will be available on @Arsenal on Twitter from 18:55.
Directions to the ground are here
- 20 November 1968. Arsenal 1 Tottenham 0. League Cup Semi Final. John Radford scored, as he did in the return leg which was a 1-1 draw, taking Arsenal through to their second consecutive final in the competition.
- 20 November 1971: Arsenal’s habit of letting in five continued in 5-1 away loss to Wolverhampton. It was Arsenal’s third successive defeat just six months after winning the Double.
The Untold Books
Woolwich Arsenal the club that changed football, is now available on Kindle at £9.99. For more details and to buy a copy please click here or go to Amazon Kindle and search for Woolwich Arsenal.
- Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
- Making the Arsenal – how the modern Arsenal was born in 1910
- The Crowd at Woolwich Arsenal
- Who the phrase of not being able to run a **** up in a brewery is really about
- Constant revolution: Arsenal become the first Trotskyist team
- Arsenal v PSV: that really was a night to remember for a very long time
- Arsenal v PSV, the team, negligence and corruption
- Sex abuser Barry Bennell has died but here’s why we should still worry about youngsters at football clubs