The first summer deals are now being announced. As a starter, Cheltenham have confirmed that 15 year old Jamie Edge will join Arsenal immediately.
Edge has come through Cheltenham’s youth programme and has been playing for Arsenal in an under-16 tournament in Italy.
Chairman Paul Baker told the club’s website, “Cheltenham Town have reached a financial agreement with Arsenal for the transfer of Jamie Edge.
“We believe it is an excellent deal for the club both in terms of the money we will receive this season and next and further payments that become due depending upon the progress Jamie makes at both club and international level.
“It is a particularly exciting opportunity for Jamie who now has to agree personal terms with Arsenal before the deal can be confirmed.”
But I can’t find the bit that says what position he plays.
The Guardian is also saying Arsenal are signing a 15-year-old Swiss centre-half called Martin Angham, but here again info is in short supply. Please help me if you know.
Meanwhile Alex Hleb who left Arsenal for higher things one year ago didn’t make it onto the pitch for BarBarBarca last night. And while it was thought at first that he was on the bench, but had simply slipped off it while having a sip of water, it now appears that he wasn’t actually named as a sub, and so sat in the stand.
Still, it means he got to see the game.
(c) Tony Attwood 2009
- Arsenal v Leicester footnote: bad runs and past games
- Arsenal v Leicester; the injuries, the team, recent games, ludicrous predictions
- Arsenal v Leicester: comparing the form, and the goalscorers
- Arsenal v Leicester: how will the ref handle Leicester’s multiple tackling?
- What sort of referee is Darren England? The statistics reveal some odd facts.