For the best online casino action off the field, visit our friends at CasinoShorts.com Play the latest online slots and blackjack for free or real money.
- Watford v Arsenal Sat 27 August – The Match Officials
- “New is just new” and other insights into the transfer market
- Premier League 2 – Arsenal v Liverpool – the preview
27 August 1997: The definitive Bergkamp hat trick at Leicester in a 3-3 draw in the 4th league game of the 2nd Double Season It was the first hattrick under Arsène Wenger. The second double: part 1, part 2, part 3.
- 27 August 1908: Newspaper talk shows Morrell very satisfied with his team’s progress as they prepared for the first game on 2 September. Unfortunately Arsenal lost 0-4 at home to Everton.
- 27 August 1913 Arsenal played a practice match at The Den as the development work continued at Highbury ready for the first home game on September 6.
- 27 August 1919: Joseph Toner joined from Belfast United for £200. He was an occasional player in each of the years under Knighton’s management, but was soon moved on after Chapman arrived.
- 27 August 1920: Death of Hugh MacDonald. He signed for Arsenal on three separate occasions (not a record but still remarkable) retiring from football finally in 1913.
- 27 August 1921: The Third Division North formed. In the first minute on the first day of the first season ex Arsenal man Tommy Winship crossed for Darlington to score the first ever goal in the league.
- 27 August 1927: Not everything worked perfectly under Chapman. Bury 5 Arsenal 1 in the opening day of the first division campaign. However Arsenal won the next two games 4-1 and 6-1 and went on to play in the FA Cup final for the first time.
- 27 August 1928: The Monday newspapers deemed the numbered shirts experiment “a success” and predicted wider use.
- 27 August 1932: The run of three consecutive league championships began with Birmingham 0 Arsenal 1. The first goal of this unique run was scored by Reg Stockill. He only played four games in the season – but scored three.
- 27 August 1938: Bryn Jones scored on his debut against Portsmouth. He scored three in his first four games, but then only scored one more during the whole season in which he played 30 games.
- 27 August 1988: Steve Bould league debut for Arsenal in 5-1 away defeat of Wimbledon in the opening fixture of the campaign. Smith got 3 – the only hattrick all season.
- 27 August 1997: The definitive Bergkamp hat trick at Leicester in a 3-3 draw in the 4th league game of the 2nd Double Season It was the first hattrick under Arsène Wenger. The second double: part 1, part 2, part 3.
- 27 August 1999: Luis Boa Morte sold to Southampton.
- 27 August 2002: Arsenal beat WBA 5-2, continuing the average of five or more goals every 20 games under Arsene Wenger. Cole, Lauren, Wiltord (2) and Aliadière scored.
- 27 August 2003: Arsenal 2 Aston Villa 0. The 3rd league match of the unbeaten season and the third straight win. Campbell and Henry scored to make it 8 goals for 1 against.
- 27 August 2008: Arsenal qualified for the Champions League group stages. Samir Nasri made his debut, marked with a goal in 4-0 win over Twente. Gallas, Walcott and Bendtner scored the others to make it 6-0 overall.
- 27 August 2009: Jay Simpson loaned to QPR. He went on to play 39 times for them and scored 12 goals.
- 27 August 2013. Arsenal beat Fenerbahçe in the Champions League play off in front of 56,271 – the lowest crowd of the season.
- 27 August 2014: Alexis Sanchez scored his first goal for Arsenal as the club beat Besitkas 1-0 in the play off round of the Champions League.
All the latest
- Transfers: the two long awaited deals are done as we do the hi-jacking and the splurge.
- Walter’s favourites for tonight’s Champions League draw
- Referee Appointments and Results Match Day #02 with video evidence and the Alternative League Table
- How much depends on luck in a football match?
- The 12 year old wonderkid.
- Arsenal Stats Week Two
- THE CASE OF THE EWOB. A SPECTRE HAUNTING ARSENAL?
And we’re on Twitter @UntoldArsenal and on Facebook (UntoldArsenalToday)
Comments, History, copyright etc etc Untold Arsenal was set up by in January 2008 as a mechanism for countering the eternally negative comments of other bloggers. Articles are written by those who feel drawn to the site’s position vis a vis Arsenal FC. The site is owned by Websites and Blogs Ltd., Hamilton House, Earlstrees Ct., Earlstrees Rd., Corby, Northants NN17 4HH. Articles that appear on this site are copyright (c) Websites and Blogs 2008 to 2016. If you wish to quote a small amount of an article you are free to do so provided you only quote under 5% of the total article. It is kind if you state the page the article came from giving the URL in full and cite the name of the author. To quote more than this without written permission would be a breach of the 1998 Copyright Designs and Patent Act. Websites and Blogs Ltd and the author will take action to protect copyright material from unfair reproduction or exploitation. Details of how and why we publish some comments and not others are contained in our Comments page (see the link under “Pages” on the left).
If you have an article you would like considered for publication please email it to Tony.Attwood@aisa.org