Arsenal News; Football news
Click here for… The Untold Banner at the Emirates
- DONE DEAL: A totally new way to report these amazing unexpected Arsenal transfers
- It is time Arsenal stood up to fight state aid to football clubs in England
Other recent stories:
- Arsenal fans worried over Gunnersaurus as club abandons coffee but discovers Jeff.
- The wonderful Adelaide, superb Gabriel, Cech confirms, advice for Akpom
- Looking back at the Emirates cup: doing that old Özil-Ramsey thing.
- The Emirates Cup 2015: an upstairs downstairs report
- Revealed: How referees are able to manipulate the results of Premier League games.
- Emirates cup: Arsenal – Wolfsburg 1-0 to The Arsenal
- No sooner have we beaten one team 6-0 than we’re off again.
- The Emirates cup : Sundays opponent VFL Wolfsburg
- 29 July 1912: David Neave transferred to Merthyr. He had played for Arsenal in two separate spells between 1904 and 1912, making 168 appearances (154 in the league) and scoring 32 goals (30 in the league).
- 29 July 1976: Malcolm MacDonald signed from Newcastle for £333,333. There was an argument about the price between the clubs and eventually the Arsenal chairman said, “one third of a million and not a penny more.” And so it was.
- 29 July 1979: Malcolm Macdonald announced his retirement from football. There is no doubt that without his injury he could have helped Arsenal to greater things and his loss was a major blow. He did come on and play in the final game of the 1978/9 season – a 1-1 draw away to Chelsea in which he scored our goal.
- 29 July 2000: Micky Thomas joined Wimbledon (his final club) playing nine times for them. After retiring from football, he set up his own security service, called Stop Taking the Michael, and has played for Liverpool legends.
- 29 July 2004: Kanu joined WBA. He played 53 times for WBA and 141 for Portsmouth. He left Portsmouth with them owing him £3m but dropped the legal case in order to help the club survive. See here for memorable incident. Here for first game
- 29 July 2003: Arsenal beat Beşiktaş 1-0 to make it two wins, two draws, one defeat
in pre-season. Bergkamp scored the only goal, slipping the ball through the keeper’s legs.
- 29 July 2012: After a 2-0 pre-season defeat to Man C Arsenal can only draw 2-2 with Kitchee. Walcott and Eisfeld scored in the Hong Kong Stadium. The team won only one of their first team pre-season games and it presaged a poor start to the season.
- 29 July 2014: Arsenal signed Calum Chambers from Southampton for around £11m. He played 23 times for Arsenal in his first season – more than in his entire Southampton career before this.
Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
Making the Arsenal – how the modern Arsenal was born in 1910