This is not a moment to despair. Arsenal have suffered but a handful of heavy defeats under Wenger. The 6-1 deafeat by Manchester United in the league is 2000-1 was the worst, followed by 5-0 by Chelsea in 1998-99.
But following each of the heaviest defeats involving 5 or 6 goals against Arsenal have never lost the following game. Better, much of the time we have gone on from defeat to win the league.
And not only is this a Wenger thing – in the Bertie Mee double season of 1971 we lost 5-0 to Stoke (yes Stoke) and went on to win the double.
Even in the two seasons in Wenger’s reign when we did not win the league after a heavy defeat, we went on to come second. Not perfect but an improvement on last season.
For background and insights see The Stupidity Files on www.emiratesstadium.info
- Arsenal v Leicester footnote: bad runs and past games
- Arsenal v Leicester; the injuries, the team, recent games, ludicrous predictions
- Arsenal v Leicester: comparing the form, and the goalscorers
- Arsenal v Leicester: how will the ref handle Leicester’s multiple tackling?
- What sort of referee is Darren England? The statistics reveal some odd facts.