The reason is that
a) he’s amazing
b) he’s said he’s ready to leave Marseilles
c) lots of people have linked him to Arsenal – although that’s probably because Gilles Grimandi has been watching him.
The price is around 14 million pounds which is within the realms of Arsenal’s affordability for the right player
And this is what the Guardian said about him
“The silken touch, the balletic elegance, the majestic strength. The vision. The trailblazing dribbles that begin with the drop of a shoulder and a graceful dash and conclude with a piercing pass or a scorching shot.”
In short he is Zidane reborn – and he’s a Frenchman of Algerian descent. (At least most people call him Zidane II, except one web site which amusingly compared him to C Ronaldo at Man U.
Anyway, it is the strongest rumour by far of the summer, so it might, just, perhaps, be about to happen.
The rest of the weekend’s stories
- 18/05/2008: Everyone is saying we’ve signed Nasri
- 18/05/2008: Flamini out of Champs League 08/09
- 18/05/2008: Colorado Arsenal top US league
- 18/05/2008: France misses out on Clichy
- 18/05/2008: Untold Arsenal Awards 07/08: Management
- What Europe knows about Man C but the English press haven’t told you
- Arsenal v Manchester City Women’s Continental League Cup semi-final – match preview
- How Man City’s problems began to arise…. nine years ago
- The media pile into Manchester City, but where have they been all this time?
- Manchester City accused of over 100 breaches of Premier League financial rules