The reason is that
a) he’s amazing
b) he’s said he’s ready to leave Marseilles
c) lots of people have linked him to Arsenal – although that’s probably because Gilles Grimandi has been watching him.
The price is around 14 million pounds which is within the realms of Arsenal’s affordability for the right player
And this is what the Guardian said about him
“The silken touch, the balletic elegance, the majestic strength. The vision. The trailblazing dribbles that begin with the drop of a shoulder and a graceful dash and conclude with a piercing pass or a scorching shot.”
In short he is Zidane reborn – and he’s a Frenchman of Algerian descent. (At least most people call him Zidane II, except one web site which amusingly compared him to C Ronaldo at Man U.
Anyway, it is the strongest rumour by far of the summer, so it might, just, perhaps, be about to happen.
The rest of the weekend’s stories
- 18/05/2008: Everyone is saying we’ve signed Nasri
- 18/05/2008: Flamini out of Champs League 08/09
- 18/05/2008: Colorado Arsenal top US league
- 18/05/2008: France misses out on Clichy
- 18/05/2008: Untold Arsenal Awards 07/08: Management
- 78 players now tipped to join Arsenal this summer – the full list
- How the Premier League is copying the German League – but missing a key element
- The benefits of the Europa League, plus Chelsea sale on the edge of collapse
- Newcastle v Arsenal: predicted line ups; Saka told to move on from Arsenal
- Newcastle v Arsenal: ludicrous predictions and brilliant videos