By Tony Attwood
It is looking like we might have just players in the Under 20 world cup this summer. I don’t have any finalised squad details (if you do, please update) but here’s what I have to go on
Damián Martínez – Argentina
Francis Coquelin and Gilles Sunu, France
I had thought that Benik Afobe and Sanchez Watt, of England, would be there but neither appear in the Fifa listings for England.
The tournament is being held in Columbia between 24 countries. France are in the same group as Mali, Columbia and South Korea. Argentina play in the same group as England Mexico and North Korea.
The opening game is on 29 July, England vs North Korea. The match is being filmed live on British Eurosport at 8.45pm
Meanwhile the European Under 19 championship is drawing towards a conclusion – and this too is shown on Eurosport. Belgium, Czech Republic, Greece, Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Spain and Turkey are taking part. Two Arsenal players are involved: Sean McDermott in goal for Ireland and Ignasi Miquel of Spain. Miquel played in both the games for Spain so far.
Spain have topped their group and are through to the semi-finals. Ireland could still go through but they have to win their final game, and have the other result go their way.
The 2011/12 squad
- What Europe knows about Man C but the English press haven’t told you
- Arsenal v Manchester City Women’s Continental League Cup semi-final – match preview
- How Man City’s problems began to arise…. nine years ago
- The media pile into Manchester City, but where have they been all this time?
- Manchester City accused of over 100 breaches of Premier League financial rules