The injury list from Euro 2008 is getting massive.
But is it the biggest set of injuries ever? Given that supporters of their clubs won’t be able to watch them at full fitness next season you might expect the newspapers to be keeping a running total of just how much damage Euro 2008 does to the game for the rest of the year.
But no – not a word. It is as if the world of Euro 2008 exists on its own and that the injuries – some seriously long term – don;t relate to the real world.
I have mentioned before the likes of Alexander Frei, the goalkeeper Quim, Arjen Robben who is struggling on making a groin injury worse, Ryan Babel, Christian Panucci, Fabio Cannavaro, Pavel Pogrebnyak. There have been others, but now there is the big name of Ribery to be added to the list.
Euro 2008 is having a major impact on football in the major leagues next season, but don’t tell a journalist.
- Last season the table after 3 games was headline news. But probably not this season
- 117 players tipped as coming to Arsenal before the window closes
- Why Arsenal recruited a new defence first, then a new attack
- After two games we can start to make one or two judgements
- Winning the opening two league games is not that common for Arsenal