By Tony Attwood
It seems that 59 year old Terry Burton is going to be the new Arsenal Reserve coach.
Terry has been first team coach at Sheffield Wednesday for the last few months, but has a history with Arsenal, as he was the captain of Arsenal’s FA Youth Cup winning side in 1971, and started coaching at Arsenal, before moving on.
He did not get a playing contract at Arsenal, and instead played with Folkestone, Epping, Hayes and Leyton Wingate as well as coaching at a local school.
Burton came back to Highbury as youth team coach in 1979 – and oversaw the emergence of Tony Adams. He became first team coach under Don Howe, and reserve coach with George Graham, before being released in 1987.
He then became manager of Wealdstone, and coach of Wimbledon, working with Joe Kinnear during the era when Wimbledon were in the first division as well as being manager of the club for a while. He converted the side from their notorious kick and muscle long ball game to a short passing game, but he opposed the relocation to Milton Keynes and was replaced in the summer of 2002.
He was then assistant manager at Watford, and then at Cardiff, where he brought through Aaron Ramsey, and recommended him to Arsène Wenger, while advising Ramsey to join Arsenal. He lost his place when Dave Jones was sacked as manager.
In 2011 he went to WBA as first team coach, and then in 2012 became assistant manager under Dave Jones at Sheffield Wednesday.
Steve Bould has moved from the youth team to take over Pat Rice’s job, and Neil Banfield has moved from reserve team manager to assistant with the first team. It is Banfield’s job that Terry Burton takes over.
- Are Rangers about to follow the Royal Arsenal approach to football
- George Graham – Arsenal’s second most successful manager
- Giroud is in – but who could it push out?
- Stewart Houston – managed Arsenal twice
- Giroud will score 14 next season
- Football has changed into a killer instinct game
- Bruce Rioch: a life of argument
- EuroWatch: England crash out, the French depart and only our German gooners remain. Plus Marco Reus transfer chat
- To find out how well refs did in 2011/12 we analysed their every move. Now we start the reports.
- Why bother with next season when you can read all about it now?
- Arsenal v Leicester: comparing the form, and the goalscorers
- Arsenal v Leicester: how will the ref handle Leicester’s mulitple tackling?
- What sort of referee is Darren England? The statistics reveal some odd facts.
- Premier League 2022/23 – Matchweek 2 Refereeing matters
- Are we all really sure that no other club behaves like Barcelona?