By Bulldog Drummond
And so it goes. The world as two groups of people. Those who understand the notions of context and history, and those who think that the only thing that matters is what has just happened.
I’m reminded of a few acquaintances who I had earlier in my life, who on hearing some dubious story about me or a mutual acquaintance would believe it. If I ever said, “hang on, this is me, Bulldog, I don’t do that,” or “wait a tick, that doesn’t sound like Dave,” or whatever they would reply, “Well, how am I to know?”
In other words the latest rumour overshadows years of loyalty, friendship, achievement and a certain morality.
All notions of being able to judge a person, an organisation or a situation based on past evidence and the world around us is jettisoned and instead we have the last rumour, the last few moments. And no talking, logic, or evidence can set the notion that the last five minutes are more important than the last five years.
Ah well – we live in a world of two species. Those who can grasp context and history and those who can’t. I’m with the guys who can.
Up next is Everton, who had a fine win over a fairly poor Swiss team in the Champs League on Thursday. Does that make them more confident and Arsenal less so, or does it make us more determined to put things right and them more relaxed thinking they know how to do it all?
The other question is, will the stewards have learned how to stop the flares and smoke bombs being smuggled in. We saw last time Untold debated such matters that there were a number of Everton supporters or alleged supporters who would defend to the hilt the action of some of their fellows in bringing in flares or smoke bombs, and of obstruction stewards trying to resolve the situation. We’ll see how it goes.
Everton have won just twice from seven Premier League games after playing in the Europa League and those two games were against Burnley and QPR. As for last season it was 1-1.
Our injury list….
- Flamini (hamstring, 14 Mar),
- Ramsey (hamstring, 14 Mar),
- Wilshere (ankle, 14 Mar),
- Arteta (calf/ankle, Apr),
- Debuchy (shoulder, Apr),
- Diaby (calf, unknown)
Liverpool and Newcastle are top of the league with eight, we are fourth equal with Palace and QPR, Everton being one place below with five. Man City and Tottenham are still both bottom with zero. Figures from the Physioroom web site.
And thus for the team I have
Bellerin Gabriel Koscielny Monreal
Walcott Giroud Sanchez
Subs from Szczesny, Gibbs, Chambers, Ox-Chamberlain, Welbeck, Akpom, Mertesacker, Rosicky, Gnabry.
I don’t think the Ox will start as he is still building up his strength as a, well, Ox, but I guess he could. I still like Bellerin’s pace. Mert may have to suffer for the defeat, or at least have a rest.
Arsenal’s recent league results summaries
- February: Won 4 Lost 1
- January: Won 2 Lost 1
- December: Won 4 Drawn 1 Lost 1
- Total: Won 10 out of 14. 71.42%
Everton’s league results summaries
- February: Won 0 Drawn 1 Lost 2
- January: Won 1 Drawn 2 Lost 1
- December: Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 4
- Total: Won 2 out of 13. 15.38%
For comparison: Chelsea across December to February in the league
Won 8, drawn 3 lost 2. 61.53%
1 March 1913: Football League reject appeals by Tottenham to prohibit Arsenal from moving to Gillespie Road reiterating that they have no control over the location of each club.
- 1 March 1930: West Ham 0 Arsenal 3. FA Cup round 6 on the way to the cup final and Arsenal’s first ever major trophy.
Very bad days…
- 1 March 1993: Arsenal scored four goals in 14 league matches between 21 November and Chelsea 1 Arsenal 0 on this day. During that period Arsenal won just two league games, both away, both 0-1 against Man City and Oldham.
- How much have Arsenal’s rivals spent on transfers in recent years?
- Why is it becoming so difficult to find a sponsor for new football stadium?
- Corruption flares up again in Italy, as Premier League figures don’t look too clever
- How much does a club have to spend on transfers to get a trophy?
- Does the team that is top after 14 games usually go on to win the league?