Has anyone ever considered the idea that the whole story of Cesc requesting that his future be decided before the world cup was engineered by Arsenal FC, together with Arsene and Cesc?
The aim would be to put an end to the media’s never ending stories of Cesc going to Barcelona before almost every important match which Arsenal happen to be playing in. In other words the view might be, there always seems to be a story about Cesc and Barcelona, and something needs to be done.
I remember last season the endless amount of stories – old and new about Cesc returning to Barcelona before almost every critical match that Arsenal had i.e. the Champions league qualifiers with Celtic, Porto, Barcelona and even when we played the likes of Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. The stories were always repeat of about how Cesc had talked about playing for Barcelona one day, and were always followed by stories about how he would leave if we did not win anything that sessions or get into champions League and rejoin Barcelona.
The point that I am trying to make is that, all this talk about Cesc (who is after all only 1 player in a team of 11) would not have been very good for team building or team morale, nor indeed for Captain Cesc ‘s morale before critical matches. Other team member could consider themselves as important as Cesc, in their own positions, and therefore morale issues could have been exacerbated.
I think that Arsenal FC, together with Arsene and Cesc engineered the stories about Cesc future for the following reasons;
1 – To get it settled once and for all
2- For Cesc’s peace of mind during the World Cup
3- To force Barcelona hand to show what their intention was really about – leadership politics,
4- And finally to put an end to stories about Cesc before start of next session for team morale, Captain Cesc morale and Arsenal FC club image.
The bad end result could see Cesc going to Barcelona but I think it was a risk that was agreed that was worth taking so as to force Barcelona’s hand for the good of Arsenal FC.
Also on the flip side, Cesc may stay at Arsenal as this was always the plan from the beginning with Arsenal FC, together with Arsene and Cesc to show his family/supporters that Barcelona where not to be taken seriously. –
Proof of this can be found in what has happened so far since break of story about Cesc’s future. The following;
(1) – Cesc request to Barcelona (not to Arsenal, as already an Arsenal player with a 5 year contract) for his future to be decided before start of world cup – never happened.
(2) – Cesc’s conservation with Arsene where he said his future was in hands of Arsenal FC and Arsene.
(3) – 19th May 2010, Barcelona buy striker David Villa for £35 million – shows where Barcelona’s manager’s priorities are first and foremost.
(4) – Barcelona’s presidential elections due on the 14th June 2010 (each candidate promises to bring Cesc back to club – in house politics)
(5) – 2nd June 2010, disgraceful offer from Barcelona for about £29 million for Cesc who still has about 5 years lift on contract, captain of Arsenal and only 23 years of age – in house politics.
(6) – 2nd June 2010, Club statement on offer by Barcelona – turned down – Cesc not for Sale and Arsenal not interested in speaking with Barcelona about Captain Cesc – please respect our wishes.
(7) – 11th June 2010, World cup starts, Cesc still an Arsenal Player – no increased offer from Barcelona.
(8) – 14th June 2010, new Barcelona president elected, he puts spotlight on old president to undermine his tenure about the Cesc saga, then promises to see what can be done – Barcelona in house Politics.
(9) – 15th June 2010 to 10th July 2010, Still no official increased offer for Cesc from new Barcelona president but stories about them being broke and requesting loan for about £129 million to pay bills.
(10) – 11th July 2010, Cesc’s Spain wins world cup final and Cesc is still an Arsenal Player and gives tribute to Arsenal FC and Arsene and that he is Proud to be ….. An Arsenal player, I would think but media reports do not complete statement, so can only think that is what he is saying.
(11) – 13th July 2010, statement from Cesc ‘s father over the Barcelona shirt incident could show that he has been converted to Cesc still being an Arsenal player as he was quick to apologies and defend Cesc future at Arsenal FC – same person who was pushing for move to Barcelona.
So that is my take on it, that the whole Cesc saga over the request for his future to be decided was engineered by Arsenal FC, together with Arsene and Cesc to show up Barcelona for what they really are in front of Cesc family and supporters from both clubs, to maintain team morale and Arsenal FC image as a big club.
You might also enjoy…
This season’s team: more forwards than you can shake a stick at
Arsenal 100 years ago – the Woolwich Arsenal web site
Making the Arsenal: if you are not taking this book to the beach questions will be asked
- Arsenal’s finances: another loss but going the right way
- WSL 2022-23 Arsenal v Everton – Match Preview
- Which Arsenal transfer tale is being repeated the most often?
- How much have Arsenal’s rivals spent on transfers in recent years?
- Why is it becoming so difficult to find a sponsor for new football stadium?