By Sean Welch
I’m writing this to give you some facts that you could use for a soon to be a rainy/slow day. Or maybe remember as we near the end of the season, and you think, “didn’t that guy on Untold write something about this, back in early November?”
We are, I believe, going to have a truly great year. I feel it deep down to my very core.
League games played 10/38. That is 26% played and therefore 28 left.
League cup if we get to the final 2/6. 33% played and 4 games left.
Champions League if we get to the Semi Final 3/12. 25% played and 9 games left.
The F.A.Cup If we can play at least to the Q/F with one replay then 5 more games to play.
Overall this means we have played 15/58 or 26% played and that would leave at least 43 games to go.
Now here comes the interesting part to the equation/story.
- Nasri 7 goals,
- Chamahk 6 goals,
- Walcott 6 goals,
- Arshavin 5 goals,
- Song 4 goals,
- Fabregas 4 goals,
- Vela 3 goals,
- Bendtner 2goals.
This is in total 8 players who could score 10 or more goals in a season. We could throw in a healthy Van Persie as well so this equals nine out of ten, 10 goal scorers in a season. So who could be the tenth one possibly?
Wilshere, Diaby, or Rosicky. Lets do some more maths. Between the first eight players you have 37 goals needed out of 80 this equals 46% of the target required from only 15 games played (or 26%).
From a remaining 43 matches (or74%) we need only 43 goals from these 8 players. After a player scores 10 he has helped the team target and so now we can get behind the other players with a little more gusto.
But what happens if two2 more players step up to the plate and also score more than 10 goals each in a season? Not only would you receive a truly magnificent 10/10 or a number that equals the total out field of a footballing squad, but more than likely Wenger will once and for all prove his critics forever wrong and that his version of Total Football can be achieved, if only one dares to dream and believe in your team.
That said the Trophies are coming its just a matter of time. After all, when has a team ever had 8 to 10 goal scorers who scored more than 10 goals in a season and not won a trophy?
My love affair with Arsenal started 39 years ago when I watched my first football match from a hospital bed. It was the last game of the season and being a London boy could not support a team from up north. You only need one guess to figure that one out.
- But it was all so different in the past. Making the Arsenal: available from Amazon.co.uk but for a signed copy dedicated to whoever you want just order from the publishers (follow the link) and add details of the dedication wanted to your order.
- Arsenal History: Arsenal’s origins – currently telling the story of the end, the very end, of Woolwich Arsenal
- Untold Arsenal on Facebook here
- Untold Arsenal Index: silly stuff, serious stuff, and sociology
- Arsenal Worldwide: supporting Arsenal from outside the UK
- Arsenal Independent Supporters Association show your support, be part of changing the club
- The seven main things that are wrong with football in England
- 2022-23 WSL Arsenal v Spurs – Match Preview – part 2 comments from the manager and team news
- 2022-23 WSL Arsenal v Spurs – Match Preview – part 1 the head to head record and comments on Spurs summer signings
- Slowly the media wakes up to the notion that Uefa is being run by one family
- Fans are getting a bit more uppity, but who’s fault is that?