By Sir Hardly Anyone (with added links!)
The next transfer window opens 1 July, which by my reckoning is around about 100 days away, and is planned to close on 2259 BST on 31 August although there seems a certain amount of uncertainty over the closing time – as indeed there is at the Toppled Bollard public house, wherein reside many of the journalists who gather this tittle-tattle.
Last summer’s transfer window saw over 130 players tipped by the media to be coming to Arsenal, and given that journalists are already active with their tips it seems possible that this extraordinary level of ineptitude at predicting transfers could be exceeded this time around.
However, we must give a serious word of warning. Over the years we have been running these summer charts, accuracy rates have ranged between 1% and 3%, so we’re not over-excited by any of the names being put forward this far.
You can find a link to last summer’s transfer tips below – the file in fact got so large that we had to cut it into two. I am sure this summer our jolly journos always anxious to file a story without doing any work at all, will be keen to get the number beyond that point.
And just to give a smattering of context here is the list of players we signed last summer. (I would give a list of the player Arsenal signed in January, but for the life of me I can’t find it, despite quite a few young chaps being tipped to join the club).
- Ben White: £50m from Brighton and Hove Albion
- Martin Odegaard: £31.5m from Real Madrid.
- Aaron Ramsdale: £25m from Sheffield United.
- Takehiro Tomiyasu: £17m from Bologna.
- Albert Sambi Lokonga: £16m from Anderlecht.
- Nuno Tavares: £7m from Benfica.
I am sure you will agree that was a jolly bunch of young lads, so let’s see who is joining them this time…
|1||Armando Broja||Mirror, Caught Offside||Chelsea (loan at Southampton)||Forward|
|2||Dominic Calvert-Lewin||Express, Mirror, Mail||Everton||Forward|
|3||Reyes Cleary||Foot365, Canon.||WBA||17 year old forward|
|4||Jonathan David||Express, Mirror, Foot365, PBR||Lille||Forward; agent confirms he’s leaving|
|5||Joao Felix||Football London, Daily Canon, HITC||Atletico Madrid||Replace Lacazette|
|6||Alexander Isak||Express, Mirror||Real Sociedad||Forward|
|7||Jesper Lindstrom||HITC||Eintracht Frankfurt||Attacking midfield|
|8||Lautaro Martinez||Caught Offside||Inter Milan||Forward. WHU interested|
|9||Darwin Nunez||Mirror, Standard||Benfica.||Forward|
|10||Lucas Paqueta||Hard Tackle||Lyon||PSG, At Madrid also want him|
|11||Yeremy Pino||HITC||Villarreal||Release clause worth €80m. Forward|
|12||Marcus Rashford||90 Min, HITC, TalkSport, Daily Cannon.||Man U||Forward|
|13||Sergi Roberto||Football London||Barcelona||Right back|
|14||Renato Sanches||Sun, Mirror, Sports Mole||Lille||Midfield. Juventus want him|
|15||Djed Spence||Hard Tackle||Middlesborough on loan at Forest||Full back|
|1||Dan Ballard||News at Den||Millwall||Loan|
|2||Eddie Nketiah||Evening Standard||Crystal Palace|
Last Summer’s transfer window
- Arsenal break their all time record for transfers: numbers 1 to 69
- From number 70 to number 136
- What happened to the players said to be coming to Arsenal last summer?
- Who starts the transfer rumours and why are they inventing more and more?
- Are Arsenal really making progress, or are we starting to slip back?
- Luton 3 Arsenal 4: maybe it is time to say positive things
- Luton v Arsenal – the referee, the team, Saka and Cliff Bastin
- Luton Town – how do they play the game. The tackles, fouls and cards.
- Luton Town v Arsenal: Grim football, fewest goals, lowest possession rate