Here is the official Premiership Team of the Year as voted by the players in the Premiership…
David James (Portsmouth)
Bacary Sagna (Arsenal)
Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd)
Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)
Gael Clichy (Arsenal)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
Ashley Young (Aston Villa)
Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal)
Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
So there it is – four Arsenal players – more than any other club. And no Chelsea players.
What we can also say is that none of the four Arsenal players in the team of the year has actually been signed by Arsenal as a known and established player. Only two of the four were signed for anything approaching major fees – and that is “major” in the Arsenal sense, which is a fraction of “normal” in the Man U sense.
Combine this achievement with the fact that Arsenal are regularly putting out teams that are about 15 years or more younger than the teams of Man U and Chelsea, and we can see the huge achievement this year, and the promise of next year.
- What the media doesn’t tell you, part 6. There’s a financial problem…
- The Big 7 clubs, how much they spent and what good is it doing?
- What the media won’t tell you about football 5: Fifa lends money to Switzerland
- What the media won’t tell you about football, part 4 – referee variations
- The final transfer rumours: 3 new names to make 66 players tipped for Arsenal