Well, for the last six months I have been reading all about predictions on who is coming in at Arsenal and who is going out and what do we require most as if all the writers of these sizzling articles are phenomenal mind readers and can read all Arsene Wenger thoughts (may be even the ones which Arsene Wenger does even know about).
Now let us see what are the predictions on Arsenal with in the last 4 months (I am only considering the ones which are somewhat realistic). Well most of them relating us to a striker and to a defensive midfielder even after watching the display put on by most of our own players still continuously people are linking us with players who are not very eager to move and even if they do move shall cost extremely high, so what I understand of Arsenal’s criteria of buying players here are my analysis:
- Edison Cavani: a complete NO for the price tag he carries right now. Yes Arsenal will buy for a more suitable price in the region of 25 – 30 million, but as off now I have little hope of this person coming in Arsenal.
- Reason: He is overpriced, he has not played in tough leagues, he is good at hold up play (just like Giroud) and much is not to talk about his pace.
- Karim Benzema: there were chances at one stage but now no way he is coming to Arsenal, with the price tag he carries and with his reputation he can only make it to Arsenal with a price tag of around 20 – 25 million.
- Reason: He has what is needed by Arsenal but Real was not willing to let him go unless they has sufficient cover and such cover for Benzema was not available. I believe Arsene would have tried his level to get him to Arsenal but obviously the counter party was not interested. Now even if the counter party is willing Arsene would be wise to cut the price tag by a decent amount before buying
- William Carvalho: This guy is a good talent, can fit in at Arsenal upon departure of Falamini or Arteta, but not with the price tag mentioned, we might go as high as 25 million but I doubt it if more than that is offered as we already have on great defensive midfielder and some youngsters coming up quickly.
- Reason: a proven talent can cost me that much, a person who is still in the making should not be priced so high, Arsene Wenger does not like to gamble on players with such high price tags.
So, the Arsenal Fans must understand that there is going to be trading and quite a lot of it this season but remember that it not going to be insane like Chelsea or Man United. The Arsenal philosophy is to develop their own talent and we are doing so, people will tell you that we do not get much out of the academy but remember a single great talent out of the academy shall save millions and plus give you a loyal player for years.
We are definitely going to strengthen, especially in areas like defense more specifically a left back who will be quite young may be even a teenager or some on just entering the twenties and a good central defender (maybe) in case Arsene does not see Hayden / Chambers coming forward which I doubt as Calum Chambers has been tagged for making it big.
A good defensive midfielder is on the cards definitely but not at an audacious price, unless you see someone leaps and bounds above Coquelin, where Flamini is a good cover and if Arteta leaves then only we shall look for a reasonable cover.
What we shall definitely be looking for is a good midfielder to provide cover, as Santi is aging now and Rosicky seems to have faded into the medical room so we shall do some buying to provide adequate cover in the middle of the park but not much as I believe that Arsene has his trust on some youngsters especially Toral, Zelalem, Crowley or Iwobi.
The departure of Debuchy news can be quite realistic as being a player in thirties and having talent as of Debuchy who is now completely overshadowed by Bellerin. Putting myself in his shoes I would say, anyone would want to leave and explore his opportunity; particularly in a club where playing time is more on offer. I think Jenkinson will be coming back as he is a great talent as well and has huge passion for football plus Arsenal.
The buying pattern will somewhat be similar to our buying like of Gabriel as we got him at a decent price where he is a talent who can provide great return for the price we paid for him. Yes I will also not rule out the fact of 50 million plus buying but only for someone who can fit that bill, like Aguero or Hazard or Lewandowski. Obviously we have cash to spend but that does not mean we will spend it here and there without any rational, on any given player who seems great talent.
So let us not think of ourselves as a low down club but a club which is prospering on its own without external funding and is a top flight club in the world. We have two good trophies two year in a row and more to come with a lot of prospect in the bag along with some shining talent spreading the ray of hope to everyone. Arsenal Fans let’s think like champions and behave like champion club supporters where we are only competing for top talent, for top places and trophies; nothing less shall suffice us.
Happy days are now on, let’s all smile and watch the rise of SUN, an inevitable fact.
Please note that our rules on making a comment have been updated to place extra emphasis on the issue of repeating arguments that have been made multiple times before without taking any note of the evidence or counter arguments. Details are on the comments page.
- 23 November 2011: Arsenal qualified for the Champions League knock out stages with a 2-1 win against Borrusia Dortmund. Van Persie got both goals.
- 23 November 1994: Ian Wright scored against Leicester making it 12 games in a row in which he has scored. Unfortunately Arsenal only won four of those 12, and neither of the next two, ending the season in 12th.