by Andrew Crawshaw
- Referee – Roger East
- Assistants – Simon Bennett and Marc Perry
- Fourth Official – Frederic Graham
Roger East is from Wiltshire and this will be only the third time he has refereed in an Arsenal game.
This Season His only appearance this season was at the end of December in our 2 – 0 win over Bournemouth.
His scores were 67% weighted overall score, bias of 69/31 and two wrong Important Decisions – both not given penalties. Min 45+1 Francis for manhandling Giroud and Min 59 Gabriel fouling Gosling. Not exactly setting the world on fire.
Last Season 2014-15 we had him once in our 2 – 2 draw at home to Hull. His scored were 62% weighted and bias of 82/18 with one wrong Important Decision. Min 17 Diame goal for Hull should have been ruled out for clear foul on Flamini in the buildup. Again less than stellar refereeing and there is a good argument for saying he cost us two points on the day.
I have no reviews of Mr East in a Burnley Game but here is a brief history :-
2014-15 Premier League
Southampton 2 – Burnley 0
QPR 3 – Burnley 3 with 3 yellow cards
Burnley 3 – Blackpool 1 with 3 yellow cards
Doncaster 0 – Burnley 2 with three yellow cards and one penalty
Turning to the rest of the Refereeing Team
I have a ‘flag’ against Mr Bennett for the 0 – 0 Draw at home to Liverpool in August for wrongly flagging Ramsey offside in Minute 9, Michael Oliver was the referee. This is his only Arsenal Game in the League this year.
Mr Perry has been Assistant to Mr Madley in our 3 – 1 home win against Sunderland and with Mr Marriner in our 1 – 0 win away at Newcastle. In Both games he was ‘flag’ free.
Mr Graham, hasn’t acted as fourth Official in the Premier League in the last three seasons, so I’ll assume he is a completely new face.
He is a 52 years old Essex man and is on the National Referees List (one step down from the ‘Elite’ Premier League referees). A Warm Emirates welcome to you sir. He normally referees in the Championship of Football League one or two. This year he has taken charge of 16 games spread across The Championship, Johnson Paint Trophy, League 1, League Cup and FA Cup competitions. He has issued 69 yellow and one red card as well as giving two penalties. The biggest attendance was 24,975 for Middlesbrough v Notts Forest where 5 players got yellow cards.
- Mr East isn’t the greatest ever referee, his numbers have been below the 70% minimum acceptable level in both his previous Arsenal games.
- He doesn’t like giving penalties so best not put a bet on there being one.
- He also has a ‘blind eye’ to fouls against Arsenal which is something to watch out for.
- Burnley are likely to be ‘up for it’ and will probably play in a physically imposing manner, particularly as they are now the home for Mr J Barton that well known wind up merchant. However they are also a decent team currently in third place in the Championship and quite capable of causing us problems so we will likely have to match their intensity. I hope Mr East stays on top of the game and prevents things getting out of hand (although I’m not sure that will happen).