By Luke Tao
Resulting from the latest seething in the blogs after the unfortunate draw against West Ham, I am requesting a chance to express some views on Arsenal which I have for awhile.
My view is that we did not fail against West Ham but rather that we have progressed as a club for the last 4 seasons despite not winning trophies. My view is we are not on the wrong track this season, we actually are doing well.
The draw on Sunday was really bitter but I still retain vivid memories of 3 games which happened during the ’98 and ’02 seasons.
– The magic game with three goals from Dennis Bergkamp… but we ended up drawing that game
– The game we lost at home against Blackburn (1-3)
– The last minute equaliser from, again, Leicester City in the ’02 season
What I want to emphasize is that even in successful seasons, there were still many bitter and heartbreaking moments. We actually won the league title(s) after the turn of the year – it’s really up to how we do in the last 18-20 games or so that will define our season.
Right now it’s the players’ job to do their best to keep up (stay at worst 5 points from the top) or even win all their games to lead the league going into the year 2010.
Of course many moaners said that we are competing with more teams now (back then it was us and Man U). But look at how all the teams, and I mean all of them, have dropped many points already this season. And I can argue for myself that we are the only team who dropped points undeservedly.
As to my second idea, all I will say now is that what other manager has…
1) managed a team under such a tight budget to reach CL final and semifinal
Watch Arsenal Live Streams With StreamFootball.tv
2) produced another crop of young and great players
3) managed an injury prone team to lead the league for 8 months before that evil moment against that evil team
4) sold greedy, want-away, and unneeded players for a large chuck of profit
5) given us the most beautiful footballing team in the history.
(The answer is no one apart from the Lord Wenger, of course).
It’s funny too when you compare the SUCCESSFUL Arsenal teams to this current squad of how they do in Europe. This current team is actually doing a lot BETTER than the class of ’98, ’02, and ’04. So unsuccessful and incompetent? I’d say hell no.
We just have to pray that we will get a break this season (bad calls, injuries, lucky goals…..), – the sort of break we have not had for a long long long time.
Moaners say that we can’t look at the past. But a great manager is defined by ALL his actions, both the past and the present.
Luke Tao (diceman)
EDITOR’S NOTES… We expect to have copies of the book MAKING THE ARSENAL ready for dispatch this Friday. There’s a new article on the book, and the chance to order on www.woolwicharsenal.co.uk (that’s a new address).