by Andrew Crawshaw
Since I posted my first thoughts on who might be in our 25 man squad for the coming season there have been a number of changes in terms of players arriving or leaving and I have a few errors to correct. It is also under a week to go till our first game so here goes :-
Firstly a reminder of the rules (Thanks to the Middlesbrough Gazette for an excellent explanation that even a duffer like me can understand).
The squad rules were introduced at the start of the 2010/11 season and limited all clubs to a maximum of 25 players over the age of 21 for that season’s games (with the new age rules for the Premier League 2 I expect that age to be raised to 23 in due course but it hasn’t been changed yet as far as I can establish).
The full squad list has to be submitted within 24 hours of the closure of the transfer window.
There is an ‘exceptional circumstances’ provision in the event of a goalkeeping injury crisis.
Clubs are free to use players not on the list for matches in domestic cup competitions (subject to separate rules of those competitions).
Of the registered squad players no more than 17 can be designated as ‘foreign’ and at least 8 must be registered as ‘homegrown’.
A ‘homegrown player is defined as a player who is
- 21 years or older on January 1 of the year in which that season begins and
- Spent 36 months between the ages of 16 and 21 with a team in the English League system.
The ‘homegrown’ player rule applies irrespective of the nationality of the player.
In addition to the 25 man senior squad a team can play an unlimited number of under 21 players regardless of nationality, providing they have the necessary international clearances.
Here is my list of Arsenal players who were over 21 on 1 January 2016 and who aren’t currently definitely on loan elsewhere (please advise me if I have missed anyone).
|1||Aaron Ramsey||Mid||26 Dec 1990||Y|
|2||Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain||Mid||15 Aug 1993||Y|
|3||Carl Jenkinson||RB||8 Feb 1992||Y|
|4||Danny Welbeck||Forward||26 Nov 1990||Y|
|5||Emiliano Martinez||GK||2 Sep 1992||Y|
|6||Francis Coquelin||DM||13 May 1991||Y|
|7||Jack Wilshere||Mid||1 Jan 1992||Y|
|8||Kieran Gibbs||LB||26 Sep 1989||Y|
|9||Matt Macey||GK||9 Sep 1994||Y|
|10||Theo Walcott||Forward||16 Mar 1989||Y|
|11||Alexis Sanchez||Forward||19 Dec 1988||N|
|12||David Ospina||GK||31 Aug 1988||N|
|13||Gabriel||CB||26 Nov 1990||N|
|14||Granit Xhaka||CM||27 Sep 1992||N|
|15||Joel Campbell||Forward||26 Jun 1992||N|
|16||Laurent Koscielny||CB||10 Sep 1985||N|
|17||Mathieu Debuchy||RB||28 Jul 1985||N|
|18||Mesut Özil||Mid||15 Oct 1988||N|
|19||Mohamed Elneny||Mid||11 Jul 1992||N|
|20||Nacho Monreal||LB||26 Feb 1986||N|
|21||Olivier Giroud||Forward||30 Sep 1986||N|
|22||Per Mertesacker||CB||29 Sep 1984||N|
|23||Petr Cech||GK||20 May 1982||N|
|24||Santi Cazorla||Mid||13 Dec 1984||N|
|25||Yaya Sanogo||Forward||27 Jan 1993||N|
I have sorted the list firstly into ‘Homegrown’ and ‘Foreign’, and secondly alphabetically.
In addition to the 25 man list of senior players these are the U21s who I believe are currently part of the current First Team squad
|1||Alex Iwobi||Forward/MF||3 May 1996|
|2||Calum Chambers||CB/RB||20 Jan 1995|
|3||Chuba Akpom||Forward||9 Oct 1995|
|4||Hector Bellerin||RB||19 Mar 1995|
|5||Jeff Reine-Adelaide||Mid||17 Jan 1998|
|6||Rob Holding||CB/RB||12 Sep 1995|
|7||Serge Gnabry||Forward/MF||14 Jul 1995|
- At the moment we have more than our required number of ‘Homegrown’ players (10 against a minimum of 8)
- We have exactly 25 senior players so there is no need to sell or loan anyone unless we want to sign any more over 21 players – one in one out.
- Including the players in both lists we seem to have an adequate number of players for each position (you will have your own opinions about their competence/suitability).
- If necessary we could omit Wellbeck (or any other of the long term injured) from our August list if they are not going to play until the end of January as the list has to be re-submitted at the close of the winter transfer window.
Personal Footnote from Tony:
Each time Andrew does this list I’m very grateful, not least because when I’ve tried to do it I always cock it up.
Looking at the 25, in addition to Wellbeck we could also lose Sanogo and Macey – Sanogo simply because he has not been part of the pre-season games since the opening get-togethers, and Macey because although he seems to be an up and coming keeper we already have three in the squad above him.
That gives three places, and although it reduces the home grown list by two, that still keeps us within the legal limit. Given that it would seem unlikely that there will be three signings in this final week of the window, we’ve got nothing to worry about in terms of keeping within the rules, no matter who we want to sign.
The Untold Preview of the Under 18, Under 19, and Under 21 squads.
- Part one – Overview and summary
- Part two – Goalkeepers and defenders
- Part three – Midfield
- Part four – Attackers
- Man City – Arsenal 2-3: Why ref? Why 4 minutes of extra time in a pre season friendly?
- Manchester Airport vs The Arsenal, and that means a lot of talk about INJURIES
- The changes to the loan system, how they relate to the under 23s, and how the Telegraph said “no”.
- Coming soon to a ground near you – Premier League 2
If you have not written to Untold before or have had a post rejected please read our guide on comments
- The huge danger that lies ahead following the Liverpool VAR cock-up
- After seven games how are Arsenal doing? It’s our best defence in over 10 years
- The Women’s Super League – Opening day Sunday 01 October
- Arsenal Women – the Season Preview – part 2 Our team for the Season
- Bournemouth v Arsenal: the team news, Jesus’ problem, and winning records