by Andrew Crawshaw and Tony Attwood
With all of the ‘ins and outs’ of the transfer window here is the final 25 man senior players squad list. The top 9 are ‘home grown’ the remaining (from Debuchy downwards) are overseas. (The numbers in the left column are simply for Tony to double check that we did end up with 25 – you know what his adding up is like).
|1||Kieran Gibbs||LB||26 Sep 1989|
|2||Aaron Ramsey||Mid||26 Dec 1990|
|3||Theo Walcott||Forward||16 Mar 1989|
|4||Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain||Mid||15 Aug 1993|
|5||Danny Welbeck||Forward||26 Nov 1990|
|6||Carl Jenkinson||RB||8 Feb 1992|
|7||Emiliano Martinez||GK||2 Sep 1992|
|8||Francis Coquelin||DM||13 May 1991|
|9||Matt Macey||GK||9 Sep 1994|
|10||Mathieu Debuchy||RB||28 Jul 1985|
|11||Per Mertesacker||CB||29 Sep 1984|
|12||Gabriel||CB||26 Nov 1990|
|13||Laurent Koscielny||CB||10 Sep 1985|
|14||Alexis Sanchez||Forward||19 Dec 1988|
|15||Mesut Özil||Mid||15 Oct 1988|
|16||Olivier Giroud||Forward||30 Sep 1986|
|17||David Ospina||GK||31 Aug 1988|
|18||Nacho Monreal||LB||26 Feb 1986|
|19||Santi Cazorla||Mid||13 Dec 1984|
|20||Yaya Sanogo||Forward||27 Jan 1993|
|21||Granit Xhaka||CM||27 Sep 1992|
|22||Petr Cech||GK||20 May 1982|
|23||Mohamed Elneny||Mid||11 Jul 1992|
|24||Shkodran Mustafi||CB||17 Apr 1992|
|25||Lucas Pérez||Forward||10 Sep 1988|
The following U21 players are included in our First Team Squad
|Rob Holding||CB||12 Sep 1995|
|Alex Iwobi||Forward/MF||3 May 1996|
|Hector Bellerin||RB||19 Mar 1995|
|Chuba Akpom||Forward||9 Oct 1995|
|Jeff Reine-Adelaide||Forward||17 Jan 1998|
We have 5 members of our First Team Squad out on season long loans
|Joel Campbell||Forward||Sporting Lisbon|
And finally we have 8 of our Young Professionals on season long loans
|Tafari Moore||RB||Utrecht (Holland)|
|Dan Crowley||AM||Oxford United|
|Stefan O’Connor||CB||Maastricht (Holland)|
As of this season, and as reported in an earlier article, there is no provision for loans outside the transfer window (unless a goalkeeper in exceptional circumstances) the rest of our players will be with us until January at least.
Musings by Tony (meaning, don’t blame Andrew for this final bit)
This is, we think, the first, or at least one of the few, occasions in which Arsenal has used all 25 available slots. If other under 21 players emerge during the year of course they too can be included without affecting the 25.
It is interesting that Yaya Sanogo, whom we have only seen in glimpses in the pre-season, has neither been sent on loan nor released, despite seeming to make little progress after some difficult times out on loan. It might be that Mr Wenger still has faith in him, and feels that by having Sanogo working working at Arsenal, he might be able to recover his form and develop.
Zelalem likewise has not always been impressive of late, and yet has stayed with the club, again perhaps with the thought that he can be returned to his earlier form. Given that the loan rules have changed, as noted above, it is hard to draw any other conclusion for these players. Both players might still make a push for the first team squad, as indeed could Chris Willock. There is nothing to stop more players who are under 21 being included in the squad, if Mr Wenger thinks that is a good idea.
Watch Arsenal Live Streams With StreamFootball.tv
Two anniversaries from the start of Arsenal in the league
- 1 September 1888: The first recorded pre-season friendly, in which Arsenal first team (The Probables) played the reserves (The Improbables). A second match was arranged one week later, after which the matches against other clubs began.
- 1 September 1893: Kentish Mercury reported Jack Humble, the Woolwich Arsenal chairman, had presented the new Manor Ground to the press, along with an updated list of Division II fixtures.
- Total transfer expenditure last summer v this summer and what it means for the clubs involved
- The Arsene Wenger operating system made easy for dummies.
- Has the Arsenal squad been improved this transfer window?
- Arsenal transfer shock; one more player on the way
- How referees are being bribed to accept VAR decisions
- Narrow escapes are always part of being successful, but they’re not everything
- Arsenal team news for the “home” game in Greece against Benfica
- How is Brexit impacting on the transfer market
- Arsenal players forced to isolate after home game! AFC news ahead of Benfica game