by Andrew Crawshaw
Our Officials for this match are :-
- Referee – Chris Kavanagh Age 42 born in Manchester
- Assistant Referee 1 – Peter Kirkup from Northamptonshire
- Assistant Referee 2 – Adam Nunn from Wiltshire and FIFA accredited
- Fourth Official – Andre Marriner Age 46 from the West Midlands
This will be Mr Kavanagh’s ninth match in the Premier League this season after a trial match between West Brom and Southampton (0 – 1) on 8 April last season. So far this season his games have been
|Match||Res||Assistant 1||Assistant 2||4th Official|
|Brighton v West Brom||3 – 1||Peter Kirkup||Sian Massey-Ellis||Andre Marriner|
|Burnley v Huddersfield||0 – 0||Peter Kirkup||Sian Massey-Ellis||Graham Scott|
|Newcastle v Watford||0 – 3||Stuart Burt||Andy Halliday||Anthony Taylor|
|Everton v Huddersfield||2 – 0||Gary Beswick||Mick McDonough||Mike Dean|
|Southampton v Leicester||1 – 4||Gary Beswick||Sian Massey-Ellis||Roger East|
|Brighton v Burnley||0 – 0||Constantine Hatzidakis||Mick McDonough||Andre Marriner|
|Watford v Leicester||2 – 1||Lee Betts||Sian Massey-Ellis||Andre Marriner|
|Stoke v Newcastle||0 – 1||Peter Kirkup||Sian Massey-Ellis||Craig Pawson|
We can see that he has had experienced PGMO officials ‘whispering in his ear’ for all of his games this year. This will be the 4th time that Andre Marriner has acted as fourth official so we shouldn’t expect Mr Kavanagh to break the mould of PGMO officials.
This will be the first time, as far as I can see, that Mr Kavanagh has been allowed to blow a whistle in an Arsenal Game. He has been fourth official once this season with Mike Dean in charge – our 1 – 1 draw away at West Brom and we all know how that game turned out.
Needless to say Mr Kavanagh’s testimony along with both assistant referees, Stephen Child and Adam Nunn, was word for word the same as that of Mike Dean as Arsène got banned for three games. Cynics will probably say this match is his reward especially with Andre Marriner on hand to ensure that he sticks to the script.
I am disappointed that Sian Massey-Ellis won’t be running the line as I have always been impressed with her but we are still denied her presence in a league game.
- This is a fairly skimpy preview as there are absolutely no prior matches from which to draw inferences.
- The available evidence is that Mr Kavanagh is unlikely to offer any change in the current hard-line stance of the PGMO against Arsenal.
- He is paired with Andre Marriner who has engineered losses for Arsenal in both of the games he has refereed – 6 not given penalties, 1 wrongly awarded goal and three players not being sent off.
- I think we can expect to see the usual refereeing tricks employed on Saturday – phantom fouls, inappropriate advantages, probably an offside goal and certainly there will be a good probability of another dodgy penalty.
- As ever though if we get a quick start and a couple of early goals then the refereeing will probably be perfectly acceptable.
- Revealed: how most of the Arsenal transfer stories will conclude at the end of January.
- The deal is done. Oh yes it is. Oh no it isn’t. You’re making it up. Oh no I’m not.
- Arsenal’s transfers only confused by the needy media seeking to be at the centre
From the History Society
Watch Arsenal Live Streams With StreamFootball.tv