By Sir Hardly Anyone
Arsenal had a net spend in the window of £67.8m – considerably more than most pundits were saying at the start. Indeed the standard theme (and there are always standard themes because these journo types love to copy each other) was, as the Mirror put it “Arsenal must sell before they can buy this summer”.
Well yes we sold Martinez for around £20m and Sam Greenwood for an undisclosed amount. And as the Star excitedly told us, Arsenal managed to sign two more players before the transfer window shut on Monday night after the acquisition of Thomas Partey.
“!Nikolaj Moller and Joel Ideho joined and will go straight into the Gunners’ Professional Development Phase.”
- Willian: Winger — from Chelsea: free
- Tim Akinola: Midfielder — from Huddersfield: free
- Salah-Eddine: Midfielder — from Feyenoord: free
- George Lewis: Winger — from Fram Larvik: free
- Pablo Marí: Defender — from Flamengo: £14m
- Cédric Soares: Defender — from Southampton: free
- Gabriel Magalhães: Defender — from Lille: £27m
- Jonathan Dinzeyi: Defender — from Tottenham Hotspur: undisclosed
- Dani Ceballos: Midfielder — from Real Madrid: loan extended
- Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson@ Goalkeeper — from Dijon £1.8m
- Thomas Partey: Midfielder — from Atlético Madrid: £45m
So the questions are a) how could the Mirror have got this so incredibly wrong in its “sell before we can buy” view, and b) when will they come out and admit they screwed up big time, and c) when will they apologise? We are not holding collective breaths within the Tower of Untold.
- Dinos Mavropanos: Defender — to Stuttgart: loan
- Zech Medley: Defender — to Gillingham: loan
- Trae Coyle: Forward — to Gillingham: loan
- Matt Smith: Midfielder — to Swindon: loan
- Jordi Osei-Tutu: Winger — to Cardiff: loan
- Sam Greenwood: Forward — to Leeds United: undisclosed
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan: Midfielder — to Roma: free
- Ben Sheaf: Midfielder — to Coventry: loan
- Tyreece John-Jules: Forward — to Doncaster: loan
- Ismaila Diallo: Midfielder — to Burnley: free
- Emiliano Martínez: Goalkeeper — to Aston Villa: £20m
- Mark McGuinness: Defender — to Ipswich Town: loan
- Daniel Ballard: Defender — to Blackpool: loan
- Mattéo Guendouzi: Midfielder — to Hertha Berlin: loan
- Lucas Torreira: Midfielder — to Atlético Madrid: loan
So all that having to sell in order to buy… the sales of Emiliano Martínez to Aston Villa was the only sale that brought in money. And yet in addition to those few newspapers and blogs I listed above as an example, virtually all “outlets” as they are called, told us time and time again we had to sell before we could buy.
This surely is one of the biggest fake news stories in football of all time, and yet no one is even admitting they got it totally wrong. Which in itself says quite a lot about the entire football reporting industry.
- Arsenal about to show who is being dropped as we create the “25”
- Partey: It Feels Great To Continue Being An Arsenal Fan…
- Women’s Super League Matchweek 3 Review: Arsenal top of the league
- Arsenal’s finances: another loss but going the right way
- WSL 2022-23 Arsenal v Everton – Match Preview
- Which Arsenal transfer tale is being repeated the most often?
- How much have Arsenal’s rivals spent on transfers in recent years?
- Why is it becoming so difficult to find a sponsor for new football stadium?