By Tony Attwood
Yes indeed, he was on the list at number one (largely because the list is by and large in alphabetical order and his surname is Adli) and we have signed him. Making it two players signed. If anything is going to encourage the rumour makers to keep going it is a couple of early signings.
Here’s what we said…
|1||Yacine Adli||PSG||Sport Review. Talk Sport says the deal is certainly on for a mere £250,000. Mirror says it is for sure.||Barcelona Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Juventus want him. He’s a wonderkid. All set to sign NOW (DZ)|
Mind you that “now” at the end of the final column was added a couple of weeks back, but now he’s ours: “17-year-old midfield prospect Yacine Adli from Paris Saint‑Germain.”
He’s been signed on a three-year contract after he rejected the offer of professional terms at PSG. The commentary is that it was “much to the French club’s dismay.”
It is interesting that he left PSG despite them not wishing to lose him – it may have been because he likes and trusts the manager, and it may also be that he knows that Arsenal has a reputation for bringing on young players such as Bellerin, Ramsey, Wilshere, Fabregas and Maitland-Niles.
Other clubs might say, “we’ll give you a chance next season” but the proof of the pudding is on the grass as they say. With PSG able to buy any player they want, what chance will they give a youngster who is bound to need a few games to settle into the pace of the top league in any country.
I think that is going to be a continuing problem for both Manchester City and PSG; the expectation is to emulate Arsenal’s unbeaten season, and to do that the clubs are reluctant to experiment with the youngsters.
I suspect he will be given chances, just as Maitland-Niles and co have been. So I suspect the order of the day will be appearances in the League Cup, group stages of the Europa, and maybe a home game or three in the league.
And now we have two players in, and according to the latest chart, 83 to go.
- The 85 players Arsenal are said by the “experts” to be signing this summer
- Does Lichtsteiner’s arrival mean Bellerin is leaving – or is there a deeper more cunning plan?
- Current rumours reveal Arsenal’s audacious plan: and it might just work.
- Are Arsenal really making progress, or are we starting to slip back?
- Luton 3 Arsenal 4: maybe it is time to say positive things
- Luton v Arsenal – the referee, the team, Saka and Cliff Bastin
- Luton Town – how do they play the game. The tackles, fouls and cards.
- Luton Town v Arsenal: Grim football, fewest goals, lowest possession rate