By Don McMahon
My heart is heavy and my mind in turmoil after having read Mesut Ozil’s scathing attack on racism in German football and in Germany itself.
I lived in Germany for two years and really enjoyed being there, especially for the football. However, after reading his exposé about mistreatment and bigotry on the part of the DFB and German media, alt-right facists and xenophobic fans, I am recommending that all true Gooners and UA readers have a look at his letter and comments on this post;
Once you’ve done that, let’s ALL stand up and support Ozil and every other player worldwide who is fighting similar battles against chauvinistic, xenophobic, Trump style racists, neo-nazis and haters, in and outside of Football.
How can we support him and others? Here are a few ideas and I am sure UA readers, being the intelligent and tolerant group they are, can find other ways to campaign for tolerance and respect in Football:
1) Let the DFB know that their treatment of Ozil is unacceptable, unprofessional and totally unfair…..here is their English website:www.dfb.de/en,
2) Let Germany, as a nation, know that Ozil is not alone. Here is the English language German Federal website: www.bundesreigerung.de/Webs/Breg/en.
3) Ask the Arsenal to support Ozil by denouncing racism, xenophobia and all neo-nazi BS that is directed at any footballer. Here is the AFC website to communicate through: firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Demand that the sweet FA and the EPL stand up to bigotry,racism and xenophobia ever present in Britain and the UK and take a firm public position against any such aberrations while supporting their Footballers subject to such abuse, including mysonginistic chauvinism. Here is their website contact information: www.thefa.com
5) Finally e-mail FIFA and EUFA to denounce the abuse Ozil and other footballers have been subject to because of their heritage. Here are the contact sites for both of them: Fifa.com and uefa.com.
Why is this important you may ask?
Here are just a few reasons why one of the world’s best players should NEVER be subject to such ridicule, racism, abuse and other negative experiences;
a) He is a German national, just like Angela Merkle or any of his German teammates. Why should he be singled out for abuse….why tolerate ANY shite like this against any person in the world?
b) His record speaks for itself…. his critics are small-minded, right wing fascists with a nasty agenda just like the blond fake president.
c) He represented the Arsenal and his country with pride and commitment, he deserves to have these values reciprocated by true Gooners everywhere and honest Germans in his country of birth.
d) His religion has absolutely NOTHING to do with his football prowess and such considerations should NEVER enter into the debate, EVER.
e) People worldwide have to know what horribly fascist BS some football ¨authorities¨ are capable of and must be made aware of Ozil’s right to be treated like any other person, with all the respect and dignity due him.
f) He is one of the most reviled players if we go by the media accounts of his ¨laziness¨, lack of heart, lack of commitment etc. We true Gooners all know better and those that don’t have a lot to learn.
I wish I had his personal e-mail as I would send him a supportive and heart-felt thank you from his huge fanbase at AFC. However standing behind him and making sure his detractors know that football criticism is fine but racism and xenophobia is NEVER acceptable.
I have sent e-mails to all of the above sites and I hope you will all do the same in support of Ozil.
- Why is it becoming so difficult to find a sponsor for new football stadium?
- Corruption flares up again in Italy, as Premier League figures don’t look too clever
- How much does a club have to spend on transfers to get a trophy?
- Does the team that is top after 14 games usually go on to win the league?
- How the Taliban infiltrated the World Cup and used it to maintain its war on women