By Tony Attwood
And the big question is – how will you occupy yourself in June (other than by watching Copa America)?
Here are the dates.
- 30 May: FA Cup Final
- 3/4 July: Copa America 3rd/4th, and final
- 15 July: Asia Trophy (Stoke, Everton, Arsenal, Singapore) – two games
- 18 July: Asia Trophy: (ditto) – 3rd/4th play off; final play off.
25 July: Emirates Cup
- 14.00 – VfL Wolfsburg v Villarreal
- 16.20 – Arsenal v Olympique Lyonnais
26 July Emirates Cup
- 14.00 – Olympique Lyonnais v Villarreal
- 16.20 – Arsenal v VfL Wolfsburg
- August 2: Community Shield (Arsenal v Chelsea, always assuming…)
- August 8: Premier League starts
Goodness know how much of a first team we will put out in Singapore, but certainly no one who has gone to South America will be there.
But at least some of the guys will have had a kick around by the time we get to the Emirates Cup, and everyone will be excited (well, interested, well, looking up from their drinks) to see Nic Bendtner.
Villareal are sixth in the Spanish League, Wolfsburg second in the German League, and Lyonnais are second in the French League, ahead of Monaco (last season’s party poopers).
This is the competition that BT Sport mocked like crazy two years ago, but then suddenly transformed themselves into supporters of a fine tradition.
So not much space for a holiday except for June. Just leave the kids behind and go.