By Tony Attwood
Put another way… “Does it matter what the media says about Arsenal?”
One could argue that it clearly matters to some supporters because their comments make it clear that they believe some of what is written. But does it actually affect the club?
For example, does it make it easier or harder for the club to make the next transfer, if the media is full of over-puffed Arsenal “failings” in the previous season, with growing suggestions that the manager has only a few months to prove himself before he is sacked?
In such a case I would say yes, the media is having an influence, because of player’s agent might say to the player – “They are in chaos at Arsenal; Arteta had a terrible season last time and there’s talk of him having only 10 games this season to save his career. If you go to Arsenal and he Arteta gets the chop, the next manager could have a totally different view of how the team should work.”
In this regard part of the problem is that the media’s perception of Arsenal at the moment is unified – that the club had a terrible season last year and are trying to buy players to pull themselves out of the mire.
I would argue that when the media from blogs to newspapers speak with one voice, that voice is hard to resist.
First let’s look at the lies…
- Arsenal failed last season with a terrible defence
- Arsenal failed last season with a terrible attack
- Arsenal are desperate to buy but keep on moving too slowly or trying to get the price down, allowing someone else to come in.
The “first time in 25 years” that Arsenal have not been in Europe story is presented as the worst kind of failure, but in fact NO OTHER ENGLISH CLUB HAS EVER MADE IT TO 25 YEARS IN EUROPE IN SUCCESSION.
But players and agents are taken in by the negativity. Sometimes it is just with the comment, “I hear things aren’t right at Arsenal” but sometimes taking the whole negativity seriously. This then can affect not only who the club can buy but all the profit and loss of the club.
Watch Arsenal Live Streams With StreamFootball.tv
Arsenal are seen to be desperate and the prices go up as the feeling that Arsenal are in chaos spreads. Players who might once have considered the club, no longer do.
So why don’t Arsenal fight back by saying, “The media is lying. Last season we invented a new form of playing, and the statistics prove it. In the last two thirds of the season we were second best in the league…” They don’t because media won’t touch a story that says the media got it wrong.
Of course it is not just lies about Arsenal having had a bad season, it is also nuance. Take the Guardian this morning “Premier League clubs can benefit from lack of lucrative summer jaunts” which basically seems to be there to enable them to make the point that Arsenal will suffer from going to the US.
And when we do sign a player we get “Ben White’s biggest weakness that will concern Mikel Arteta after £50m Arsenal transfer (
Of course some look promising like “Arsenal’s incredible squad for Premier League opener if Edu seals six more deals” in the Express, but just pause and think – could Arsenal, in a couple of weeks, create a new team with eight or so new signings?
Last season, as we have shown over and over, it took a third of the season to introduce the revolutionary tactics and get them to work. And that was with a stable, established squad. Why would Arteta throw away another third of a season, with all the negative publicity that would bring, going through that all again?
And all the time we get headlines like, ““He is better than that” – Pundit surprised at star sealing transfer to Arsenal … (
At the same time lists of players we are going to sign appear. The last analysis we published was of 111 players tipped to be coming to Arsenal and we’ve found quite a few more since then!
This is an outright assault by the media on Arsenal, day after day after day, for one reason only. To make Arsenal fail.
The enemies of Arsenal and how they are trying to destroy our club
- “We’ve got a really successful keeper, let’s get rid of him”
- “Arteta’s making unusual decisions”. How Keown was more right than he knew
- Wenger and Arteta: two revolutionaries each under ceaseless attack
- How the English media followed Trump as a way of attacking Arsenal
- The enemies of Arsenal, and how they are attempting to bring about our fall
- We kept the wrong goalkeeper. Here’s the evidence. (Caution article might cause swearing)
- Last season revealed significant referee home bias, but what about penalties??
- Media move on to regular insults against Arsenal to hide the real data
- Which PL clubs foul more than they are fouled?
- The 116 players coming to Arsenal this summer part 2 Jules Kounde to Piotr Zielinski
- The 116 players coming to Arsenal, part 1: Patrick van Aanholt to Tenu Koopmeiners
- Arsenal’s fouls dropped by 22% last season. Did it help?
- The curious case of how the media treats Man C and how it treats Arsenal